High Temperature Dry Rock Cycling? + other cycling concerns

Kiara_Pyrenei

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So, I am a newbie and I just ordered my first tank, a waterbox 25g AIO. However, I'm having a hard time finding advice for my specific situation re: cycling

The biggest thing is that I live in Japan, and i do NOT have an air conditioner in any room but my bedroom (where the tank wont fit), so I wont be able to add any fish until it cools down this fall. (Next summer I'll invest in a aquarium chiller, but I can't afford one as a start up cost rn)

That means that I have a Lot of time to devote to aquascaping and cycling just the dry rock before that point, and I'm trying to figure out how to best take advantage of that, but nearly all the advice is about how to cycle your tank as fast as possible. So I have a few questions:

First: is it even possible/advisable to cycle your tank (minus fish) in high temps? It gets up to around 90F here. Is there a temperature point where the cycle would be stalled? Should I even attempt it or wait til cooler temps even to start cycling?

Second: I see a lot of people talking about cycling their dry rock in a trash can or some such, and I'm not sure why it seems so common. Is there a reason for that? It seems like a lot of work to set up when i have a nice working tank sitting there empty not being used for anything yet. Is there a concern there that I'm missing?

Third: if I am able to cycle my rock during the summer, what method would be best? A lot of the comparisons I've seen have been about what will work fastest, but I have nothing but time so I'm looking for which method will give me the best results as far as biome and the lowest risk of any parasites etc in my tank.

Any advice would be appreciated!! :D

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best: set your tank up fully and running

add in two medium pinches of fish food ground into powder, wait 30 days, you’re fully cycled

no, those conditions above won’t stall it they’ll help it

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to a pet shop and buy any cycling specific bacteria from a bottle, and add it to this mix, shorten the wait time to 15 days. This is a wait-timed cycle, it’s not required for you to test or verify. The reason some cycle in alt containers is because they overdose ammonia grossly, and changing water in the smaller vessel is easier. There’s no need to dose ammonia at all, we did a testless method above. The food added breaks down into both ammonia and carbon, the bacteria comes free of charge during the setup process (contamination bacteria in tank assemblies are cycling bacteria inclusive) if you choose the 30 day option, or from the bottle bac if you choose the 15 day one. both these cycle options provide equal outcome ability, neither is a better cycle at the end stage they are all the same at the completion date.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back