HIGH TEMPS: A little $$ can get you 3 to 5 degrees! Do you use one of these?

How do you keep your aquarium temperatures down during the hot months?

• Fan

Votes: 254 36.8%
  • Chiller

Votes: 112 16.2%
  • No need

Votes: 275 39.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 49 7.1%

• Total voters

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way can I get that in there haha. I think the room is only ~5' wide and only 8' tall. I already hit my head on the ceiling when I get into the tank for maintenance.

Install a bathroom vent fan- it will exhaust the dank hot air out of room, and house if done correctly. Humidity from in wall tanks and or small fish rooms can cause all kinds of problems within the house unless properly ventilated and dehumidified.

Seb1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure she wont be happy that the noise and smell is back, but it may be what has to happen!! Hahaha.
The airfilter in a car reduces noice, so maybe if you put some sponge under the fans, it kills the noise. Or a lowered piece of wood under the fans, so there's no direct sound coming through the holes :)

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my Chill Solutions Chiller on my nano in my classroom and now I have it on standby when and if our home AC goes out over the summer.

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We live in the Phoenix suburbs and let the AC temp run at 78 during the day. The tank can spike up to 83 with no fans. (I tested it back before I had corals in it) I originally had bought the GHL 4 fan unit, controller and have it hooked to my Profilux 4. I would still see temps hitting 80. I try to keep my system at 78. I bought the GHL because it looked pretty... It's good for a 2-3 degree decrease

So I bought a cheap Vornado fan at Home Depot and it brings the temps down to the 78 mark. Presently I have to manually turn on the Vornado fan and I do it when I see temps rising above 79. Eventually I'll quit being lazy and connect it to my controller. With the Vornado running the Tank will drop to a temp where the GHL shuts off and heaters need to kick on to keep the 78 temp.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy the GHL fan set up. The Vornado fan does a great job by it's self.

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg
How big is this tank?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current system has a fan blowing into the sump, and a ceiling fan.
My new build is getting a mini split ac in the fishroom which will be set at 68-70. This should keep the system nice and cool. 320gal in house. 400gal, 210gal and 2 50gal frag tanks in fishroom. 270gal tote sump sunk into the ground and an 8ftx4ftx20inch grow out tank in a greenhouse. This is in central texas.

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We live in the Phoenix suburbs and let the AC temp run at 78 during the day. The tank can spike up to 83 with no fans. (I tested it back before I had corals in it) I originally had bought the GHL 4 fan unit, controller and have it hooked to my Profilux 4. I would still see temps hitting 80. I try to keep my system at 78. I bought the GHL because it looked pretty... It's good for a 2-3 degree decrease

So I bought a cheap Vornado fan at Home Depot and it brings the temps down to the 78 mark. Presently I have to manually turn on the Vornado fan and I do it when I see temps rising above 79. Eventually I'll quit being lazy and connect it to my controller. With the Vornado running the Tank will drop to a temp where the GHL shuts off and heaters need to kick on to keep the 78 temp.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy the GHL fan set up. The Vornado fan does a great job by it's self.

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

Could you please post us the model Vornado you got? That's pretty sleek.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back