Higher salinity in collected natural seawater... Do I need to adjust?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 2 circled spots look like they would be great collection spots!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210201-211958_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210201-211958_Maps.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
russell.dexter

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 circled spots look like they would be great collection spots!
I'm actually going to test that theory out. The north west part of the island is a gated, private community - so I can't get there- but I'm going to head to the south west and check the salinity from that location.

Well if the weather holds - supposed to be a high of 67 tomorrow with twenty knot winds- frigid for here, lol. I even have the heater prepped for the pico just in case!

Thanks,

Dexter

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some nice flats.....how's the bonefish?

The water flow in the area could influence the salinity I suppose. If the water doesn't turn over, evaporation at low tide might result in higher salinity?

I live on Hatteras Island which is a narrow sand bar. To the west is the Pamlico sound where the salinity can be 10 ppt or even less. So, I have to avoid the inlets where the salinity fluctuates dramatically depending on whether the tide is rising or falling. Surprisingly, many of the fish we catch in the ocean we also catch in the sound. Several species go into the sound during in summer where they spawn. In the winter they return to the ocean and go out towards the gulf stream where the water remains warm.

My home is about 20 miles from the nearest inlet and the currents do not bring the sound water near our shore so I'm able to collect water whenever it's calm enough to mess with.

Good luck.

OP
OP
russell.dexter

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some nice flats.....how's the bonefish?

The water flow in the area could influence the salinity I suppose. If the water doesn't turn over, evaporation at low tide might result in higher salinity?

I live on Hatteras Island which is a narrow sand bar. To the west is the Pamlico sound where the salinity can be 10 ppt or even less. So, I have to avoid the inlets where the salinity fluctuates dramatically depending on whether the tide is rising or falling. Surprisingly, many of the fish we catch in the ocean we also catch in the sound. Several species go into the sound during in summer where they spawn. In the winter they return to the ocean and go out towards the gulf stream where the water remains warm.

My home is about 20 miles from the nearest inlet and the currents do not bring the sound water near our shore so I'm able to collect water whenever it's calm enough to mess with.

Good luck.
Yes, bonefish are pretty frequent- much better bonefishing on some of the other islands though. I've spent a lot of time on the flats!

And you are exactly right, many reef fish or ocean fish you can find right on those flats.

OP
OP
russell.dexter

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a rough week so far for me- shipment containing my salifert test kits and refractometer seems to be lost in the mail- and it's been way too rough for me to take a NSW measurement from another, more 'ocean facing' location. Next week will be better though!

I have been researching and see this article from the Museum of Natural History (from 1957 alas) that noted a study on ocean water salinity near Bimini in the Bahamas (one island north of me) varied depending on if the measurement is taken in the gulf stream to the west, or on the banks of Bimini itself. On the banks itself it is usually 37.7 ppt, which is roughly 1.0284 sg.

Perhaps the ocean is here is just...... more salty! lol

Fascinating stuff!

Hopefully a 'real' reading soon with something better than a swing arm!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
russell.dexter

russell.dexter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the local salinity there is on the high side:

Hello Randy,

Still waiting to verify the reading with a refractometer- but if it were you, would you dilute with RO water at every water change to get to 1.026? All the inhabitants seem happy- do you think that the higher salinity would impact the growth rates of my palys / GSP and other soft corals in the long term?

Thank you for any advice!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,

Still waiting to verify the reading with a refractometer- but if it were you, would you dilute with RO water at every water change to get to 1.026? All the inhabitants seem happy- do you think that the higher salinity would impact the growth rates of my palys / GSP and other soft corals in the long term?

Thank you for any advice!

I doubt it matters much, but yes, I'd dilute it to 35 ppt.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back