"Hill wall" diy

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I'm designing a macro display fuge and am thInking about a scape. It's essentially a section of my 125 sump with the same dimensions as a 40b.

I want to do a raised section in the back 1/3rd, about 8" deep , a rock wall effect then the front 2/3rd will Be scattered small rock and 3" sand bed

Kinda like this idea-

IMG_1428.PNG

But without the wizards, lol . THis one was made out of plaster of Paris, then painted, so no idea I found that'll hold up under saltwater

ThInking I could sculpt a rock face out of polystyrene, then cover it in white Portland cement . Or use eggcrate for the backing and use pondfoam. Maybe even make a mold to give the rock work effect

Any ideas?

ddelmonaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better off going with some of the more flexible live rock options such as the real reef or others. Or if you can find some cured or dry rock you can easily chisel it or cut with a diamond dremel or angle grinder into the shape that you want and use epoxy to build your structure if necessary. Would highly recommend any methods of regular cement, foam, paint, etc. Salt is extremely corrosive and given enough time will destroy just about anything you can make. Likely would lead to leeching and a tank crash

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used the Great Stuff pond foam to scape dart frog vivariums and paludariums in the past. Never had any issue with the amphibians or freshwater fish and inverts. You just have to make sure you let it cure completely (which you need to do before carving it up anyway.) You can do the entire hill out of it, or frame it out with egg crate and pvc, place rock where you want it, then use the foam between the cracks. It’ll cover all the gaps and keep your rock work all in place.

ddelmonaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have vivariums and paludariums and have used foam sucessfully on that front. Those types of systems are freshwater typically and involve a significant heartiness with freshwater fish and amphibs. I've kept salt tanks and reefs for over 15 years, saltwater corrodes things quickly and with no mercy. Look at boats, cars and homes near the ocean

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the egg crate with Portland cement, I’ve done something similar in the past just using eggcrate, once all in full bloom you won’t see the base anyway.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco rock or similar, cut or break apart to your liking and build a wall with marco cement. I did something similar to this, I did it dry and let it cure to the bottom of the tank. I then back filled it with sand.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought but could you shape marine pure blocks and super glue reef saver or equivelent over the ledge

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go for the egg crate with Portland cement, I’ve done something similar in the past just using eggcrate, once all in full bloom you won’t see the base anyway.

Very nice. That's a LOT of dragons breath!!

So that's just an eggcrate platform?

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought but could you shape marine pure blocks and super glue reef saver or equivelent over the ledge
Hmm, that's an idea. It's pretty porous stuff so should be easy enough.

Added biological functionality too. I like it

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco rock or similar, cut or break apart to your liking and build a wall with marco cement. I did something similar to this, I did it dry and let it cure to the bottom of the tank. I then back filled it with sand.
Man, sounds like the exact same concept. ANy chance you have pics?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. That's a LOT of dragons breath!!

So that's just an eggcrate platform?

Yeah just a 3 tear diy frag rack made of egg rate to give the dimentions, macroalgae grows dense barely able to see the base. It made it easier to trim it out to as I could just remove the hole thing out of the sump with minimal effort.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pond foam, red clay brick, marco rock, landscape cloth, live rock
IMG_1532-L.jpg

IMG_1841-L.jpg
You covered red bricks with pond foam and stuck chunks of Marco rock to it? Awesome.

Where are the landscaping fabric? Not concerned it'll break down? Stuff on my yard practically melts after 3 months outside

Awesome pics!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You covered red bricks with pond foam and stuck chunks of Marco rock to it? Awesome.

Where are the landscaping fabric? Not concerned it'll break down? Stuff on my yard practically melts after 3 months outside

Awesome pics!

It is a bit of an experiment. It is only 2 months old. I built the tiers with the red clay bricks that have holes in them. I covered it with the landscape cloth that was certified for organic gardening and smashed some of the marco rock with a hammer and chisel to get the size pieces I wanted. I found the pond foam sticks very well to all of it and to eggcrate though I didn't end up using any. There is a tube for a snowflake eel embedded in it.
IMG_1877-L.jpg

It's a 75 gallon with an eel, fuzzy lion, trigger and tang in it. I am trying to learn to grow macro algae.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bit of an experiment. It is only 2 months old. I built the tiers with the red clay bricks that have holes in them. I covered it with the landscape cloth that was certified for organic gardening and smashed some of the marco rock with a hammer and chisel to get the size pieces I wanted. I found the pond foam sticks very well to all of it and to eggcrate though I didn't end up using any. There is a tube for a snowflake eel embedded in it.
IMG_1877-L.jpg

It's a 75 gallon with an eel, fuzzy lion, trigger and tang in it. I am trying to learn to grow macro algae.
Nice!

DID you cover or paint the foam? If not, does the black really stand out? Did you carve any of the foam or leave it bumpy, like little boulders?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No paint. It is as it came out of the can. Takes a bit of practice and you can punch it down after it skins with your fingers.
All things assume the color of what has grown on them in a tank.
The white rock and black foam look like this this morning.
IMG_1929-XL.jpg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No paint. It is as it came out of the can. Takes a bit of practice and you can punch it down after it skins with your fingers.
All things assume the color of what has grown on them in a tank.
The white rock and black foam look like this this morning.
IMG_1929-XL.jpg
That’s perfect. Really nice scape.

I’ll be channeling you as I build mine! Thanks for the tips

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1877-L.jpg

How is this holding up?

How did you do the pipework?

Cheers!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back