Hipo Tang in distress

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is still flashing and he's obviously bothered by something most likely on his skin or gills and I feel I have to do something about it. I'm not really comfortable with the Fw dips but I found this product for flukes called Sera Tremazol (with praziquantel) that claims that a 20 minutes bath in tank water + product will remove certain parasites on his skin and gill... Do you think I should give it a try? Thx!

Don't use it as a dip, the fluke larva and eggs would still be present in the tank and will reinfect the fish. I have not used this product myself, but if it contains just praziquantel, it is reef safe to use in your main tank. I looked up the instructions online:

Tremazol • Water treatment against gill and skin flukes, tapeworms and Transversotrema in
freshwater and marine aquariums.
Directions for use:
Against gill flukes: Add 1 ml Tremazol for each 15 liters (4 US gal.) of aquarium water. Against skin
flukes, tapeworms and Transversotrema: Add 1 ml Tremazol for each 20 liters (5.3 US gal.) of
aquarium water. Use the measurement cap to distribute Tremazol on the water surface, and stir into
the aquarium with a spoon or a stick. Carry out a water change of at least 80% after 6 hours. In case
of water turbidity occurring in the meantime, carry out the water change immediately.
Repeat treatment plus water change after 7 days in case of infestation with gill flukes.
Switch off UV lamps during treatment and aerate the aquarium well. Biological filters may remain
in operation.

The only difference between this product's instructions and the more commonly used Prazipro is in bold above.

Jay

OP
OP
Digger76

Digger76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use it as a dip, the fluke larva and eggs would still be present in the tank and will reinfect the fish. I have not used this product myself, but if it contains just praziquantel, it is reef safe to use in your main tank. I looked up the instructions online:

Tremazol • Water treatment against gill and skin flukes, tapeworms and Transversotrema in
freshwater and marine aquariums.
Directions for use:
Against gill flukes: Add 1 ml Tremazol for each 15 liters (4 US gal.) of aquarium water. Against skin
flukes, tapeworms and Transversotrema: Add 1 ml Tremazol for each 20 liters (5.3 US gal.) of
aquarium water. Use the measurement cap to distribute Tremazol on the water surface, and stir into
the aquarium with a spoon or a stick. Carry out a water change of at least 80% after 6 hours. In case
of water turbidity occurring in the meantime, carry out the water change immediately.
Repeat treatment plus water change after 7 days in case of infestation with gill flukes.
Switch off UV lamps during treatment and aerate the aquarium well. Biological filters may remain
in operation.

The only difference between this product's instructions and the more commonly used Prazipro is in bold above.

Jay
Here's what I found about the use of Tremazol (Treatment outside the aquarium in a short bath) I wonder if it will work?:

Attachments

• 43164_43168_-INT-_sera-med-prof-tremazol_07-2018.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I found about the use of Tremazol (Treatment outside the aquarium in a short bath) I wonder if it will work?:
That’s what I had pasted in above. You need to dose the whole tank 8 or 9 days apart to break the life cycle.
Dips can work if you move the fish to a non infected tank.
Jay

OP
OP
Digger76

Digger76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reluctant to treat the whole tank especially if an 80% water change is needed. I was thinking of treating the tang separately to reduce the numbers and then return it to the tank and hope he rebuilds it's immune response to the parasites as he and the other fishes fended for so many years. Am I wrong?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reluctant to treat the whole tank especially if an 80% water change is needed. I was thinking of treating the tang separately to reduce the numbers and then return it to the tank and hope he rebuilds it's immune response to the parasites as he and the other fishes fended for so many years. Am I wrong?

Breaking the life cycle of flukes is difficult with praziquantel, but impossible to do without it. Immunity against flukes is rare and only partial if seen.

We don’t have confirmation that this is flukes or not, but if so, I can guarantee you that dips will not work as a permanent solution.

Jay

OP
OP
Digger76

Digger76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breaking the life cycle of flukes is difficult with praziquantel, but impossible to do without it. Immunity against flukes is rare and only partial if seen.

We don’t have confirmation that this is flukes or not, but if so, I can guarantee you that dips will not work as a permanent solution.

Jay
Thank you for your answers! Really appreciated!
I NEVER done any treatment in the tank so I have no idea of the impact on a reef tank would a treatment such as this (Tremazol) would have. (I heard it would also kill planaria, bristle worms, tube worms, wrasses?...). Any insight on this?
And also, would running GAC after 6 hours, substitute for the 80% water change required?

C

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your answers! Really appreciated!
I NEVER done any treatment in the tank so I have no idea of the impact on a reef tank would a treatment such as this (Tremazol) would have. (I heard it would also kill planaria, bristle worms, tube worms, wrasses?...). Any insight on this?
And also, would running GAC after 6 hours, substitute for the 80% water change required?

C

Here is my issue: I have NOT used that actual product, it seems to be more common in the EU. Praziquantel doesn't actually kill flukes, it causes them to go into "tonic immobility" and then they drop off of the fish, and they cannot get back on the fish and then they die.

I used to tell folks that using prazi could kill feather dusters and other worms, but over time, I've seen that does not seem to be the case. It may stun them, but not kill them. Prazi does not dissolve in water, these tiny particles can cause stress to Tridacna clams and some corals, but they seem to handle it fine. The issue with wrasses and prazi seems to be a dissolved oxygen issue. Prazi is broken down by bacteria. That process uses oxygen from the water. If the tank does not have good aeration, some wrasse will react poorly. I use good aeration in my QT and have never had a problem with wrasse and prazi.

Again, I use pure prazi, and in the US, folks use Prazipro. The product you have is a wild card for me, I do not have enough information to make a good judgement.

I do not think that carbon would be a substitute for a water change with this product.....

Jay

OP
OP
Digger76

Digger76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some new pics. I see a strange almost regular pattern on those dots Snapshot_4.jpg Snapshot_32.jpg

Back