Hippo in Cupramine

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo tang in Curpamine right now. He has been in copper for almost 3 weeks now. He still scratches like crazy even though I have not seen anything on him for weeks now (PVC tube in tank). He also is starting to develop HLLE at a very rapid pace. I have had very tough luck with HLLE affecting everything I have been QT'ing and it happens very rapidly. I am not sure what to do anymore.
hippo_20201227.jpeg
He is in salinity of 1.011. Does the Cupramine cause irritation causing him to scratch?

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are trying to run hypo salinity and copper together? Sounds like that could be pretty stressful on the fish.

How are you measuring the copper and salinity?

What salinity did the fish come in and how did you acclimate it to 1.011?

I ran a hippo through copper twice. Each time was for 14 days before moving it to another sterile quarantine tank. I noticed some flashing for up a week after it was removed from copper both times.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 1.011 sg? Wow. My hippo is in 1.023 and 2.0ppm coppersafe and is doing very well

OP
OP
rebels23

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Hypo was less stressful for fish? I am measuring with a Hanna Salinity Checker and copper with a Hanna also. I acclimated the fish to 1.011 weeks ago. I haven't had the greatest luck with Cupramine

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Hypo was less stressful for fish? I am measuring with a Hanna Salinity Checker and copper with a Hanna also. I acclimated the fish to 1.011 weeks ago. I haven't had the greatest luck with Cupramine
How can a salinity way lower than there natural environment be less stressful?

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little internet research and came across a few references to Copper being more toxic with lower salinity. Here's one reference I found from Humblefish:

"If using chelated copper (e.g. Copper Power), I wouldn't start raising it until you've reached 1.017-1.018 SG.

Ionic copper (e.g. Cupramine) is even more sensitive to hypo conditions, so I wouldn't go any higher than 0.25 mg/L until you've reached a normal salinity (1.022-26). Then take it up to 0.5 mg/L."

Personally, I would pick one method or the other and see if you have better results.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was he put in copper, did he have parasites?
Why has he been in 3 weeks?
I have lately seen more fish die in QT with meds and long stays.

This fish does not handle stress well at all.
4AFB1DD6-CDC3-4683-8D54-EA1EF868E96C.jpeg

OP
OP
rebels23

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jedi Knight, I agree with sticking with one method.

He first went through TTM in November. I then moved him to an observation tank for treatment of worms. About a week ago I noticed some spots on his belly and fin....and that is when I started treating with copper.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back