Hippo Tang becoming a menace

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw my hippo tang nip at my green slimer... it was just a single nip and swim away. He is also becoming pretty aggressive. He has shredded the back of my new green mandarin's tail and there almost nothing I can do but hope he stops. Should I be concerned? Should I yank him or will he break these habits?

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some tangs are COMPLETELY reef safe (with corals, inverts and other fish as well). Having said that, all fish have individual personalities just as us human beings do, and some tangs such as Hippo tangs will cause trouble in a reef. I had a Yellow Belly Blue that wasn't aggressive or tore through my reef, but was just a big clumsy ox and would knock things over. He became a pest and I had to pull him out. If he's acting like this now, expect for it to only worsen.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they start, they don't stop IME. Tangs are not reef safe even though most people have one in their reef. :)

+1 Ive had tangs for yrs without a problem but know others that have had problems with hippos eating LPS

OP
OP
MikeD88

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its my favorite fish though :'-(... She has been with me through 2 tanks now and I'm very attached. The nip on the acro didn't look like she was eating it and enjoying it. It looked like she was just curious. The attacks on the mandarin however, they look vicious and I feel really bad. The mandarin still seems very happy though, as it just keep grazing for pods. If you guys all seem to think I should yank it then i probably should though =(!

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its up to you you could try feeding more seaweed and if that dont work dont keep the corals she likes :D

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Powder Blue that would bite my devil's hand and other softies, so I got rid of it.

I have a Moorish Idol that eats zoas, but I like it better than I do zoas, so I just don't have any zoas anymore.

I have an Asfur Angel that never looks at my coral.

So much for "reef safe" versus "not reef safe" guidelines.

If you like the hippo, I say keep it. You may have to decide which you like best, the hippo or the mandarin or the slimer. Part of the challenge of this hobby is getting a tank where everything gets along!

OP
OP
MikeD88

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll just let it be and hope for the best, the least of my worries are the acros because I don't think she would nip them at a fast enough pace to do any real harm considering I've only seen her do it one time. My main concern is the mandarin because the little guy is so darn helpless and cool. It would be a shame for him to get eaten alive. However, every time I've ever added a fish there has always been a period in which that fish gets bullied and then everyone settles down. My solarensis wrasse took some bad butt whoopin's from my hippo at first but now it is 100% flawless with not one nip. I guess I'll hope for the same with the mandarin. The only difference is the wrasse could defend itself and swim away fast. The mandarin just sits there and takes it like he doesn't even feel it. =(

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sailfin that is getting bad.

He gets into it with my Fox Face.

I may have to yank him.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
Tangs pick no matter what. So if you want one I would keep him with tough coral and no clams. I have seen people loose there clams and never even consider it might be there tang. They dont mean to kill its just there nature to pick

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 tangs in my display and the blue hippo is a terror, he loves high end zoos and he will nip clams and acans, also whem I frag my sps, i see him carrying the frags around the tank, but i have had him for 8 yrs, so all my expensive LPS and Acans and Zoos are in the frag tank, cant give him up!?!?!?!?!

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try feeding more. If he continues, i'd yank the mandarin. On a side note i have a blue tang and a mandarin and my mandarin is the menace attacking all my fish. Maybe we can trade mandarin's : )

OP
OP
MikeD88

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try feeding more. If he continues, i'd yank the mandarin. On a side note i have a blue tang and a mandarin and my mandarin is the menace attacking all my fish. Maybe we can trade mandarin's : )

Haha, I wish we could. I'd like an aggressive mandarin.

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the Foxface is the goodguy

I know, I just prefer a sailfin over a foxface. Foxfaces are spazzes, and they sting, not a good combination when I have my hands in the tank. There are plenty of other yellow fish out there that I like a whole lot better than a foxface.... Hmm now I am sounding like one of those judgemental guys...Hey, if you like the foxface, then get rid of the Sailfin!

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I just prefer a sailfin over a foxface. Foxfaces are spazzes, and they sting, not a good combination when I have my hands in the tank. There are plenty of other yellow fish out there that I like a whole lot better than a foxface.... Hmm now I am sounding like one of those judgemental guys...Hey, if you like the foxface, then get rid of the Sailfin!

I'll just keep an eye on him.

I found it is usally better to remove the agressive fish.

iceman0124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any fish can be problematic, I've seen psycho clown gobies and viscous yellow tangs...like people they all have distnct personalities, if he's just ocasionally nipping, its probably fine, if he's putting pieces you value more than the fish...remove it.

Back