Hippo tang discolored/sunken face

Baconforbreakfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a few fish, the tank had been neglected for some time. Once i got them out i noticed the hippo tang has a mark on its face almost like tissue is missing. Its pale for sure but the face really stands out. It is in a qt tank right now and i am hoping someone could direct me to a specific tx for the little guy.
20211014_202628.jpg
20211014_202636.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This fish has a huge case of head and lateral line erosion and likely also a heavy vitamin deficiency.
This didn’t happen overnight and should have been tended to long ago
Nutrition and poor water quality are often contributors of such condition.
What is age of tank?
Is fish eating? If so, what are you feeding it ?
What is current ammonia-nitrate-ph?
What test kit (s) Are you using?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baconforbreakfast

Baconforbreakfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has a huge case of head and lateral line erosion and likely also a heavy vitamin deficiency.
What is age of tank?

What is age of tank?
I have him in a qt tank that is newly set up,i have fliters from my main tank and some rock from his previous home. Current Parameters are 1.031, 78f, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate ph is 7.9. The tank he came out of was 1.032 and cold.... i am not sure of the nutrients and my test kit was less than 7ph but didnt seem accurate. I have offered pellet and algea sheets he has sheepishly ate both. The gentleman said he is between 5 and 8 years old.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have him in a qt tank that is newly set up,i have fliters from my main tank and some rock from his previous home. Current Parameters are 1.031, 78f, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate ph is 7.9. The tank he came out of was 1.032 and cold.... i am not sure of the nutrients and my test kit was less than 7ph but didnt seem accurate. I have offered pellet and algea sheets he has sheepishly ate both. The gentleman said he is between 5 and 8 years old.

Indeed, this does look like a severe case of head and lateral line erosion, but it may also have a secondary bacterial infection - can you try for a clearer picture?

You are reporting the specific gravity as really high, are you sure you aren't mistaking salinity and specific gravity? 31 ppt salinity is low normal, about the same as a specific gravity of 1.024. A specific gravity of 1.031 is off the scale of some hydrometers, and equates to a salinity of about 42ppt. If the SG is truly 1.031, you'll want to get that down to 1.026 over 24 hours.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baconforbreakfast

Baconforbreakfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, this does look like a severe case of head and lateral line erosion, but it may also have a secondary bacterial infection - can you try for a clearer picture?

You are reporting the specific gravity as really high, are you sure you aren't mistaking salinity and specific gravity? 31 ppt salinity is low normal, about the same as a specific gravity of 1.024. A specific gravity of 1.031 is off the scale of some hydrometers, and equates to a salinity of about 42ppt. If the SG is truly 1.031, you'll want to get that down to 1.026 over 24 hours.

Jay
I appreciate the fast responses. I will try to get a clearer picture.

i checked with a refractometer and my hannah digital. It is really high and ive been slowly correcting it to what i run my display system at (1.026). I wasnt sure of a good pace to do that, but i will shoot for 24hrs.

So correcting the water quality, and nutrition is the path forward? Or should i plan on securing some antibiotics? i have metro, kanaplex and general cure on hand.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Salt is simply high even considering previous environment. Your goal is and should be 1.024-1.025
For food, very inadequate diet.
Feed at minimum:
LRS herbivore diet
MYSIS shrimp
small plankton
Hikari marine cuisine
Hikari veggie diet
Spirulina brine shrimp

add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to foods you for stamina and immunity health

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I appreciate the fast responses. I will try to get a clearer picture.

i checked with a refractometer and my hannah digital. It is really high and ive been slowly correcting it to what i run my display system at (1.026). I wasnt sure of a good pace to do that, but i will shoot for 24hrs.

So correcting the water quality, and nutrition is the path forward? Or should i plan on securing some antibiotics? i have metro, kanaplex and general cure on hand.
What test kits are you using

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Baconforbreakfast

Baconforbreakfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is simply high even considering previous environment. Your goal is and should be 1.024-1.025
For food, very inadequate diet.
Feed at minimum:
LRS herbivore diet
MYSIS shrimp
small plankton
Hikari marine cuisine
Hikari veggie diet
Spirulina brine shrimp

add selcon vitamins and garlic extract to foods you for stamina and immunity health

Looks like some grocery shopping is in order, i have lrs and mysis but will get some more coming. Is selcon used with every feeding? Or more of a once a day thing?

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like some grocery shopping is in order, i have lrs and mysis but will get some more coming. Is selcon used with every feeding? Or more of a once a day thing?
Selcon 3-4 days a week and on alternating days- Garlic extract

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a mix, red sea nitrate and nyos nitrate hanna ul phos. The ammonia is a badge , but i check it with ati.
Get rid of both bad and API - BOTH Notorious for false readings and have let down many reefers.

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understood Jay’s thread yesterday. This could have been caused by running activated carbon? Also the fish won’t recover?
The dust from carbon was once said to cause HLLE but I don’t know if there have been any new tests to prove otherwise .

on the other hand . Everyone uses carbon at some point .

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I can see, this is just really severe case of HLLE, there may not be a secondary bacterial infection. If not, then the fish will do fine just given a new environment and good diet, but the HLLE scars will likely never go away.

Jay

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back