Hippo Tang Disease Help

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, long story short, my tank got marine velvet and I lost almost everything. Super depressing. I have so far saved 3 fish. (Recently lost a melenarus that I thought I saved when I added the furan 2 to the hospital tank). In either case, I have a hippo, yasha goby, and purple fish in the tank. The tank has cupermine that has been treating the fish for the past 3 weeks. However my hippo as these sores on its body that appeared to me as bacterial infections so 3 days a day I added furan 2 to the hospital tank per the directions on the box. (Within the next few hours my Melanerous wrasses died even though it seemed perfection happy and eating just prior to adding) the hippo appears to be swimming a bit better but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything I could do to help it. See the pics. It looks pretty bad. Let me know. thanks!

F82EC162-5004-4080-BC4D-DB510689A826.jpeg AEF9AA13-172A-4344-8E30-A6EFC1C743C2.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses :(

Anitibiotics are very slow acting on fish. And they don't cure anything, they give the fish's immune system time to fight off infection.

Is the tang eating?

Lowering stress is very important when fish are in this condition. Things to consider doing:
- turn off the tank light and just use ambient room lighting.
- lowering the temperature s-l-o-w-l-y a couple of degrees sometimes helps.
- if the tang is eating, adding vitamins, can help. In particular, adding Beta Glucan to its food can be a great benefit. More info below.
- adding more O2 can help. A powerhead aimed up at the surface actively rippling can greatly increase O2.

Drastic salvage methods: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alprazos-salvage-protocol.213599/

OP
OP
C

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses :(

Anitibiotics are very slow acting on fish. And they don't cure anything, they give the fish's immune system time to fight off infection.

Is the tang eating?

Lowering stress is very important when fish are in this condition. Things to consider doing:
- turn off the tank light and just use ambient room lighting.
- lowering the temperature s-l-o-w-l-y a couple of degrees sometimes helps.
- if the tang is eating, adding vitamins, can help. In particular, adding Beta Glucan to its food can be a great benefit. More info below.
- adding more O2 can help. A powerhead aimed up at the surface actively rippling can greatly increase O2.

Drastic salvage methods: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/alprazos-salvage-protocol.213599/

Thanks for your response. I will keep at it. I believe he is eating a bit. He just won;t eat when I am near the tank. I hope he can pull through.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've had tangs that were very skittish when I approached the tank. Especially when they are sick or being treated with copper/meds. Lowering stress usually will help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back