Hippo Tang "eating" Green Star Polyp

Pathsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any insight on this? My hippo tang just began "eating" my GSP. He doesn't eat it per say, but he has been picking the polyps off the colony and then spits them out. He is well fed, I feed flake/frozen daily along with a sheet of nori. He has been in the tank with the GSP colony for 2 years with no issues. Thoughts?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any insight on this? My hippo tang just began "eating" my GSP. He doesn't eat it per say, but he has been picking the polyps off the colony and then spits them out. He is well fed, I feed flake/frozen daily along with a sheet of nori. He has been in the tank with the GSP colony for 2 years with no issues. Thoughts?
It happens, sometimes fish develop some wierd taste or habit even when fed properly.

My yellow tang I've had for a long time now decided he wanted to be a pro rock flower anemone hunter one day and started tearing them up. Thought it was something else in my system but I caught him red handed and banished him to the sump, for eternity.

outerbank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider that a blessing. GSPs are stunning but can take over a tank and be impossible to control. I had a PBT wipe out xenia in this manner. I was mostly glad. Despite the coral being beautiful, xenia can just take over tanks.

OP
OP
Pathsreef

Pathsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider that a blessing. GSPs are stunning but can take over a tank and be impossible to control. I had a PBT wipe out xenia in this manner. I was mostly glad. Despite the coral being beautiful, xenia can just take over tanks.
I keep my GSP on an island and when it starts growing on the sand I frag that out. So no issues with it taking over....haha

OP
OP
Pathsreef

Pathsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens, sometimes fish develop some wierd taste or habit even when fed properly.

My yellow tang I've had for a long time now decided he wanted to be a pro rock flower anemone hunter one day and started tearing them up. Thought it was something else in my syste

m but I caught him red handed and banished him to the sump, for eter

Lets hope mine stops....I don't think he will be happy in the sump :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back