Hippo tang flashing

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone. I just acquired a young dory. Was the best fish at the lfs. First one to eat. Doesn’t play shy etc. Acclimated her for 2 hours. Doing well now swimming with a few others in qt. She started flashing a few hours later. But is eating like a pig. So question. No fish in qt have ich or any diseases. Dory and her classmates looks perfect. So. My qt has no meds in it. Should I put copper in since she’s flashing but shows no signs of any parasites?

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic of how small she is. Maybe 1.5 inches

Attachments

• 68EF4DD8-D50C-4A4D-B170-3D0DB4AF769B.jpeg
    68EF4DD8-D50C-4A4D-B170-3D0DB4AF769B.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 54

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hippo tangs are extremely sensitive to copper. If you do use it, go very slow and watch her diligently.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hippo tangs are extremely sensitive to copper. If you do use it, go very slow and watch her diligently.
Will do. She never flashed at the store however she had nothing but a fake plant or two. My at tank is cycled ans full of live rock and caves and she seems to like it.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the tang police hits me. Dory is a tiny and in a 30qt. Than going into a 4 foot tank after qt. I have a plan. See a guy on YouTube that I’m trying to block says I have no clue. But dory will either get a much bigger tank when time comes or she’s getting re homed and I already have that taken care of. I just want her to make it through qt

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the tang police hits me. Dory is a tiny and in a 30qt. Than going into a 4 foot tank after qt. I have a plan. See a guy on YouTube that I’m trying to block says I have no clue. But dory will either get a much bigger tank when time comes or she’s getting re homed and I already have that taken care of. I just want her to make it through qt
Flashing isn't a primary symptom of protozoan diseases, and that's what copper treats best. Flashing can often be a sign of flukes, so treating with General Cure or Prazipro is probably warranted.

That said, you really should treat this tang for protozoans at some point, as they are prone to ich. I've used coppersafe on these many times with no issues. Your other two options would by TTM or hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flashing isn't a primary symptom of protozoan diseases, and that's what copper treats best. Flashing can often be a sign of flukes, so treating with General Cure or Prazipro is probably warranted.

That said, you really should treat this tang for protozoans at some point, as they are prone to ich. I've used coppersafe on these many times with no issues. Your other two options would by TTM or hyposalinity.

Jay
Ok jay thanks. Here in Canada I do have coppersafe

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to re order prazipro it will take 2 weeks. I will pull carbon and dose coppersafe tomorrow

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a coppersafe level as directed. Dory has stopped flashing. Looks great and is eating well

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back