Hippo Tang hiding after new lights

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just swapped out some cheapo black boxes for two kessil a360x. Unfortunately it blasted the tank on high brightness until I got the wifi dongle set up. I had the tank running at 40% intensity for a bit and now I've decided to do 20%. The hippo tang is sitting in the rocks breathing quick and not coming out. Anything I can do to acclimate the hippo to the lights? Lights have been running for about 6 hours now.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had to acclimate my fish to new lights. Hippo's notoriously do odd things. Is it the only fish in the tank? If it was the lights and not some disease, bullying, etc... the hippo will get used to it pretty quick.

OP
OP
C

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had to acclimate my fish to new lights. Hippo's notoriously do odd things. Is it the only fish in the tank? If it was the lights and not some disease, bullying, etc... the hippo will get used to it pretty quick.
There's two clowns which they also hid within the first few hours of the lights coming on but they're out now for the most part.

OP
OP
C

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good sign, your hippo will be fine. I have 8 pucks over my 180g, fish and corals love them.
The shimmer is intense. The lights I had before had none at all. What's your Int color Violet Red Green settings?

mkereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just swapped out some cheapo black boxes for two kessil a360x. Unfortunately it blasted the tank on high brightness until I got the wifi dongle set up. I had the tank running at 40% intensity for a bit and now I've decided to do 20%. The hippo tang is sitting in the rocks breathing quick and not coming out. Anything I can do to acclimate the hippo to the lights? Lights have been running for about 6 hours now.
Any fish in tank?

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just decrease your light intensity until he adapts. Then slowly increase it. Hippo tang are babies. Very skittish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CamGG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Violet at 100%
Red 15%
Green 0%
I'll set that and see how it looks. I turn my pumps off during feedings and the hippo, though still very nervous, came out and ate. So I think it's the shimmer is freaking him out.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll set that and see how it looks. I turn my pumps off during feedings and the hippo, though still very nervous, came out and ate. So I think it's the shimmer is freaking him out.
That's a great sign that its eating, it's gonna be fine. When I have it on those settings I have the blue/white at 50%. That's the setting I have it at for around 8 out of the 14 hours the lights are on. Roughly the 1st 2 hours and the last 2 hours I have the blue and violet at 100%.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.8%
Back