Hippo tang injured/dead/dying..or?

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I really really freaked out today. All of a sudden, my blue tang which I have had for almost 5 years now, started swimming very fast, jumped and crashed on one of the glass braces over the tank, crashed back down, sank to the bottom and stayed there perfectly still. After the initial shock, I was sure it was dead, as it had been still for more than 15-20 minutes. So with a very heavy heart as it was my first fish, I went to pick it up with a net so as to prevent an ammonia spike and....while the fish was rigid still....I saw one of the gills barely moving. So....I decided to give it a chance. I debated on taking it out of the main tank and putting it somewhere on its own or leaving it there and see. I decided to leave it in the tank, thinking it would be too stressful for the fish if I moved it when it seemed almost dead.....So... one hour later, it managed to crawl under a rock and stayed there gasping...it was nearly as if the flow was moving it...2 hours later, it started moving its tail and now it is starting to try and swim....I am beginning to hope it just might pull through. Any ideas as to what happened and why?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I really really freaked out today. All of a sudden, my blue tang which I have had for almost 5 years now, started swimming very fast, jumped and crashed on one of the glass braces over the tank, crashed back down, sank to the bottom and stayed there perfectly still. After the initial shock, I was sure it was dead, as it had been still for more than 15-20 minutes. So with a very heavy heart as it was my first fish, I went to pick it up with a net so as to prevent an ammonia spike and....while the fish was rigid still....I saw one of the gills barely moving. So....I decided to give it a chance. I debated on taking it out of the main tank and putting it somewhere on its own or leaving it there and see. I decided to leave it in the tank, thinking it would be too stressful for the fish if I moved it when it seemed almost dead.....So... one hour later, it managed to crawl under a rock and stayed there gasping...it was nearly as if the flow was moving it...2 hours later, it started moving its tail and now it is starting to try and swim....I am beginning to hope it just might pull through. Any ideas as to what happened and why?

All fish can get spooked. At least once a week mine will all of sudden "freak out". I have wrasses and they once in awhile jump out into my canopy.

All you can do now is wait and see.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, wait and see. I had a wrasse I am pretty sure broke its back and then like 3 months later it was swimming fine again. Can be resilient if healthy.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back