Hippo tang marks

Kyle_Jamieson_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my hippo tang may have internal parasites, flukes, or maybe some kind of infection. These lesions showed up yesterday and his fin has been up. He’s still grazing fine and I’m not seeing any signs of lethargy but I’d like to put him into QT. Any thoughts on what this might be so I can start appropriate treatment? Thanks in advance.
75E88F52-4FB0-4BA6-A986-622459D97A29.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Need clearer pic of belly but appears to be scratches. They literally nosedive into crevices when startled and it will leave this look of a rash
If scratches- they heal quickly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my hippo tang may have internal parasites, flukes, or maybe some kind of infection. These lesions showed up yesterday and his fin has been up. He’s still grazing fine and I’m not seeing any signs of lethargy but I’d like to put him into QT. Any thoughts on what this might be so I can start appropriate treatment? Thanks in advance.
75E88F52-4FB0-4BA6-A986-622459D97A29.jpeg
Yes - a clearer picture or even a short video would help. Small blue tangs tend to get "lumpy bellies" from feeding on a lot of algae, but this also looks like there is some color change as well.

I typically don't think that this species is likely to injure itself in coral caves - that is their normal habitat, and they are very well versed at swimming in and out of tight spots with no injury.

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back