Hippo tang not swimming much in QT

Martiantomars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

just got a blue hippo tang a couple days ago and am dosing it with copper at the recommended levels with coppersafe

She kinda just hovers around the algae roll, and stay close to the sand and it isn’t swimming much and there are tiny little black dots on the skin, are those parasites and things dying off? I know these fish are social creatures should I add more fish to QT? (wanna add more to display anyways)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cannot see picture - quick question, some sand can absorb Cu. are you using a reliable (read Hanna) test kit? Silica sand (playground) is supposed to be better, and I keep a dish available if I am QT'ing a wrasse

Is it eating?

Are you checking Ammonia levels?

have not seen ich or velvet turn black - others need to comment

And last, I have seen hippos active same way in barren LFS tanks, may need to provide some PVC hidey holes
Best of luck

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey they do that in qt especially if the tank is small. As long as he is eating once you put him in bigger tank he will be all over the place

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

just got a blue hippo tang a couple days ago and am dosing it with copper at the recommended levels with coppersafe

She kinda just hovers around the algae roll, and stay close to the sand and it isn’t swimming much and there are tiny little black dots on the skin, are those parasites and things dying off? I know these fish are social creatures should I add more fish to QT? (wanna add more to display anyways)

I don't see anything super disturbing in the video - the fish is swaying a bit, but that may be due to it being scared since you are right there filming it.

Juvenile hepatus tangs are more "plankton pickers" than algae eaters, so it may not get enough nutrition from that Nori. Are you also feeding it meaty seafoods of any type? Is it eating those well?

You may have difficulty maintaining a good copper level with all that sand in the tank. Be sure to test for copper with an accurate test kit (Hanna meter is the best, API is the worst) and do partial re-doses if needed.

I couldn't make out the black spots, but they may be turbellarians. Those are rarely fatal and can often be dealt with when you use prazi in the next phase.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey there,

I do not see anything unusual. Breathing appears normal as is swimming behavior and interest showed in eating. This fish is not big on nori but rather meaty foods. Try brine shrimp or even LRS fish Frenzy.
The only thing I do see id current may be slightly strong but again its behavior is not abnormal

OP
OP
Martiantomars

Martiantomars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything super disturbing in the video - the fish is swaying a bit, but that may be due to it being scared since you are right there filming it.

Juvenile hepatus tangs are more "plankton pickers" than algae eaters, so it may not get enough nutrition from that Nori. Are you also feeding it meaty seafoods of any type? Is it eating those well?

You may have difficulty maintaining a good copper level with all that sand in the tank. Be sure to test for copper with an accurate test kit (Hanna meter is the best, API is the worst) and do partial re-doses if needed.

I couldn't make out the black spots, but they may be turbellarians. Those are rarely fatal and can often be dealt with when you use prazi in the next phase.

Jay
Hey jay,

I am feeding him emerald entree right now and mixing in spirulina brine shrimp, and my sis but it isn’t eating much

I do think it is turbellarians when do I add prazipro to this mix? Can I do it with coppersafe at the same time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jay,

I am feeding him emerald entree right now and mixing in spirulina brine shrimp, and my sis but it isn’t eating much

I do think it is turbellarians when do I add prazipro to this mix? Can I do it with coppersafe at the same time?

While I don't prefer using Prazipro and Coppersafe at the same time, it can be done, just be sure to give the tank really good aeration.

Jay

OP
OP
Martiantomars

Martiantomars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't prefer using Prazipro and Coppersafe at the same time, it can be done, just be sure to give the tank really good aeration.

Jay
Got a better shot today of the black dots breathing is more rapid. I haven’t started prazi yet, wanna just double check before I do with this picture? What are your thoughts?
650282C6-0FF0-4C3E-AA24-F2C7D42B7379.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem to be one of the "tang turbellarians". Prazipro does work on this sometimes, but more often, it doesn't, but the parasites are self-limiting and go away on their own. It likely has to do with which species the spots are being caused by. In any event, prazi is the standard recommendation for this malady. Formalin dips are more effective, but much riskier for people and it is tough to find.

Jay

OP
OP
Martiantomars

Martiantomars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay definitely started the prazi yesterday but fish is breathing pretty hard today, I might try a Paraguard dip since I have that on hand as an alternative to formalin

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back