Hippo tang scared of me

TSM Aquatics

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a juvenile hippo tang in a tank with 4 clowns and a yellow tang. When I first got him he used to swim around with all the other fish... then mysteriously half of my fish population died off.

Since then he hides anytime I get near the tank. Whenever I initially walk in the room he’ll be swimming around, then the second he sees me, he jets into his little hidey hole. When I feed I have to dump the food into the tank, then run to the other side of the room so he’ll actually come out and eat.

I figured he got spooked after half the fish died, and this would be temporary, but he’s been pulling this BS for about a month and a half now.

He’s super healthy, no ick or anything, looking pretty chunky.. anyone ever encountered a similar issue?

OP
R

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sounds like there’s some aggressive behavior from the clowns or yellow guy

Totally reasonable assumption, but they’re all peas in a pod. Not even a hint of aggression in the tank. As I said, when I’m not in the room, he’s swimming all over. He’s really just scared of me.

Avast

Dom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just to be sure I understand:

1. Everything was fine when you added the Tangs.
2. Added the Clowns.
3. Everything still seemed fine.
4. Suddenly, the Tangs hied when you approach the tank.

I think you are right; that are afraid of something, but I don't think it's you.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If no nipped fins hopefully not aggression.

He could be a scary cat like you mentioned. If you dump in the food and run away would he hide if you come back after he starts eating?

OP
R

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just to be sure I understand:

1. Everything was fine when you added the Tangs.
2. Added the Clowns.
3. Everything still seemed fine.
4. Suddenly, the Tangs hied when you approach the tank.

I think you are right; that are afraid of something, but I don't think it's you.

I bought the tangs first. Everything was fine. Then I bought a copper band, 2 mandarins, and a potters angel. Everything was still fine, no beefs in the tank. Then the copperband, potters angel, and mandarins all kicked the bucket simultaneously.

Following that, the hippo bolted every time I got near the tank. A few weeks later I picked up the clowns, and he still hides.

My couch is right near the tank so when I’m laying down I can pop my head up and see that he’s swimming around. The second I get near the tank, he bolts.

There’s no aggression in the tank between the fish. He’s purely scared of me. If I go sit back on the couch (out of eyesight), he’ll come back out.

OP
R

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If no nipped fins hopefully not aggression.

He could be a scary cat like you mentioned. If you dump in the food and run away would he hide if you come back after he starts eating?

Not a single nipped fin in the tank. No signs of stress (mostly referring to ich). Just bolts whenever I’m near the tank.

I’m cool if he’s “going through a phase..” but we’re going on 2 months of him hiding from me. Got this $80 fish I can’t even look at unless I’m 20+ feet away.

Edit: yea if I feed, then walk to the other side of the room, he’ll come out and eat.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Try to figure out what his favorite food is. Try and feed the same spot at the same time. Eventually he’ll associate you with food.

I put a small cup on the top of my tank same place and time and everyone huddles to the corner where I drop it in.

He’ll catch on.

RAP
TSM Aquatics

PICK the Most Tested & Least Tested Parameters of your Tank (Pick 2)

• Calcium (most)

Votes: 41 6.4%
  • Alkalinity (most)

Votes: 447 70.3%
  • Magnesium (most)

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • Phosphate (most)

Votes: 52 8.2%
  • PH (most)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Nitrate (most)

Votes: 60 9.4%