Hippo tang with velvet

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a total of three baths and transferred four times, copper the whole time. I think he is going to make it. Should I get him out of copper and run GC or can I run GC and copper at the same time? Thanks for your help!!
I’m not sure I understand what you mean by transfer. Are you doing TTM with copper? How many days have you been at full copper?

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand what you mean by transfer. Are you doing TTM with copper? How many days have you been at full copper?
Yeah it was a week with just copper and he wasn’t look good so I did formalin bath and transferred to new QT with copper. So it’s been two weeks of copper.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I did a total of three baths and transferred four times, copper the whole time. I think he is going to make it. Should I get him out of copper and run GC or can I run GC and copper at the same time? Thanks for your help!!
Great. Glad it worked. Give it a couple of more days in copper, then go GC. Feed with garlic in food and feed sparingly.
YOU HAVE A HIPPO TANG !!!

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have two live rocks in QT for the first week so maybe copper wasn’t right. I know for sure it’s been a week at full copper.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Glad it worked. Give it a couple of more days in copper, then go GC. Feed with garlic in food and feed sparingly.
Sounds good I just transferred this morning so I’ll give it 36 hours and transfer to new QT without copper and run GC.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have two live rocks in QT for the first week so maybe copper wasn’t right. I know for sure it’s been a week at full copper.
Many consider 14 days as a comfortable minimum duration for velvet with copper at full therapeutic and then into a fresh QT to observe.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many consider 14 days as a comfortable minimum duration for velvet with copper at full therapeutic and then into a fresh QT to observe.
Ok I’ll consider the start of this thread day one. I’ll chill on the tank transfers and continue copper till next Tuesday. This little guy has cost me a lot of saltwater but velvet is something I don’t want in DT!!

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear he pulled through! Did you get a chance to test copper levels throughout, esp because the copper could have been absorbed by the live rock?

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear he pulled through! Did you get a chance to test copper levels throughout, esp because the copper could have been absorbed by the live rock?
Thanks. I can’t believe he looks so good today. I did not test the copper. I thought the rocks I used would have been leaching copper because I’ve used them in other QT with copper. I think this is the first velvet I’ve had. I did bleach the rocks this time and are drying outside now getting ready for the next fish QT.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for your help!! He made it into my DT. He has been in DT for just over a week and is doing great.
ED5AC413-1913-4205-82F1-D19516C75FC6.jpeg
98F36F7A-A9AE-46F5-955A-21652628B08B.jpeg

Back