History of Live Rock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of starting a comprehensive thread on the origins of the live rock industry in Florida. Info from the late 70's up until the present day. Seeing if there is any interest before I did up a lot of ancient history! :)

Richard TBS

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of starting a comprehensive thread on the origins of the live rock industry in Florida. Info from the late 70's up until the present day. Seeing if there is any interest before I did up a lot of ancient history! :)

Richard TBS
I'm interested for sure. I'm a passionate believer in wet rock from florida. In particular in TBS having been a customer of yours multiple times and I would love to know more about the history.

OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.......here we go! Began in 1960.......

My History, and Why
Richard Londeree, Owner Tampa Bay Saltwater

This story begins many years ago when I was just another wild and crazy 10 year old, living near a gorgeous white sand beach, near a small town named Titusville.

It seemed like just another town, like many other I had lived in. My father was a Captain in the Air Force, stationed at a nearby new base called Cape Canaveral, home of our nations fledgling space program, incredible sand beaches, swimming, fishing, and diving. We lived in base housing near Patrick Air Station which just happened to be right on the beach, just across the Highway, US A1A.

Well this made for interesting adventures for a 10 year old kid, just a "rock's throw" from the beach. I remember seeing our nation's efforts in space exploration unfold before my eyes, standing on "my" beach, named "Satellite Beach".

I witnessed many a launch at the space port, as my dad would know when the launches were to take place. The family would go to Cape Canaveral and be able to drive right up to the canal separating us from the launch pad. We would fish all night waiting for the launch, catching all sorts of fish, and then be treated to the largest fireworks show in the world, the launching of a Titan rocket, one of the worlds largest missles.

Some of them would blow up on the launch pad, some exploding a few hundred feet in the air, and some blown up by launch control on purpose when the missle went haywire and headed for town.

It was truly amazing fishing! We also were able to see the first launch of a chimp named Enos into space and eventually the first 10 astronauts hurled into space and return.

One I remember well was when Col. John Glen was the first American to orbit the earth and return. They brought him back to Patrick Air Station with President Kennedy. There was a small parade on base, near the hanger where they kept the then still secret U2.

My mom had made a sign that said, "WELCOME TO EARTH COL. GLEN!" Well my family and I were kind of embarrassed when mom took the sign with us, as it was before anyone had signs at events like that, but she was soon surrounded by photographers, news reels, and reporters, so she handed me the sign and the next day there was our picture in the newspaper with Col. Glen and JFK.

My love of the beach and saltwater was born out of this and other events which kept us out in the salt spray with the smells of the beach, the clear blue water, the turtles nesting in the evening, and our weekend bonfires and cookouts (of course with fishing always going on). It was one afternoon when we were digging a pit for a bonfire when we started to unearth something strange and unusual.

I was digging away in the sand when I hit something old, hard, and long. My two brothers, mom and dad, and some friends that were with us were all soon around the pit, digging away. We began to dig up what appeared to be a very large ship's mast, that of a Spanish Galleon. Little did we know that in 1715 there were a number of Spanish Galleons traveling from Havana Cuba to Spain that were blown off course by a hurricane and sunk within yards of our feet!

As time would have it our next door neighbor on base was named Major Dan Thompson. Dan and a group of his buddies did research in Spain and were looking for this fleet of sunken treasure galleons. They dove the reefs between Sebastion Inlet and Cape Canaveral searching and searching for the treasure of the lost fleet almost every weekend. They had no success and were out of money and ambition. But one afternoon Dan had found an inshore reef just off of "my" beach, and persuaded the dive team to have another go at it.

They dove the area, finding nothing until until Dan turned over a piece of rock, intending to use it as a seat which had already been examined by other divers. There was pay dirt, the glimmer of GOLD. Encrusted in the rock were many coins, and other treasures. Their years of work turned into the proverbial gold mine as they formed "The Real Eight Corp" and ended up finding millions in treasure and many more of the lost Spanish fleet. I remember playing in his garage, sitting on cannons, stacking silver plates, and tossing coins around, like a kid in a toy box.

Events like this and being stationed around the world visiting and diving many different oceans and seas had a lasting life-long imprint on me; the ocean was in my blood. My grandfather was a fisherman, my father a fisherman, and they taught me to be a fisherman. My first real reef experience was in 1971.

I got to fly "space available" on a military aircraft to Hawaii. We stayed right on Wakiki beach, and I was in paradise. The reef was about 100 yards off shore and I can tell you about collecting coral heads by grabbing and hanging on in about 10 feet of water until the next wave broke, tearing me and the coral off the bottom and tumbling towards shore.

Upon reaching the beach, I made a nice pile of coral, but noticed many incredibly colored fish coming out of the corals. I quickly returned them to the water, and the next swim out to the reef, I looked at this new world that I had overlooked before. The life was amazing! I thought to myself, this is what I wanted to do, as I was 18 and just heading to college.

I became a certified diver in 1972 diving the coast of California and enrolled as an oceanography major at a school in northern California. Finding out that physics and I did not mix, I ended up an electronics major. The last year at school found me traveling to Florida with a friend to visit my brother in Orlando to find a summer job at the newly opened Disney World.

Well, I never made it back to California; I landed a job as a traveling photographer. The company I worked for made a serious mistake one week by assigning me to a shoot in Key West, Florida. Upon arriving at this small island I found a hotel room and stood there looking out the window. On one side was the Atlantic Ocean, and as I turned around, the Gulf of Mexico was only yards away.

That was it, the fish bit me. I retired that day, informing my boss of my immediate resignation, and the fact that they would not see me again; please send my last check, care of "Paradise".

There is one big problem with paradise though: you still have to make a living. I had a house payment in Tampa and the payment on my van kept on coming. I met a couple of fellows at the boat ramp one day, and pretty soon, with some good instruction, was living the dream, collecting tropical fish in paradise.

But now it is time to begin this story again at the foot of the infamous Skyway Bridge, connecting St. Petersburg and Bradenton Florida. I was there collecting one day back in the early 1980's, as this was a spot that was loaded with hermit crabs and calurpa. As I was pulling the Caulerpa off the rocks, a rock came up with the plant.

I stashed it in my collection bag, and proceeded on collecting critters. Next stop would be the wholesaler I sold to back then, Manila Aquatics. Unloading the crabs and plants, Jerry, the owner noticed the rock and said, "hey that is neat, get me some more."

Well this was before reef tanks, mini reef tanks, or anybody keeping live corals in their tanks. So the next day I loaded my TR7 convertible full of the first "Live Rock" harvested on the west coast of Florida. Having to come up with a price for the rock, I came up with $5, $7 and $9 per rock, depending on the size.

I sold rock this way for about 6 months, then the "Mini Reef" technology from Germany hit the market and pretty soon live rock sales took off! Now there was a way to keep this rock alive with these new systems, and with every tank imported into the states, a need for live rock.

Pretty soon I was bringing in 25 five gallon buckets a day of rock to Jerry. Things had changed price-wise also as I was charging $25 per bucket, instead of by the piece.

I continued collecting for Jerry for about a year until I developed markets outside of our area, where we could get a better price for the live rock. Things changed again price-wise and we began charging by the pound, being 50 cents back then.

Soon there was another diver, Graham Carlton, on the scene and he began collecting and selling to the same wholesaler, which in turn evolved into new markets.

I met my business partner, Mark Caldwell about this time and we began diving and collecting together and soon we had a boat that allowed us to expand our collection area and venture out into the Gulf of Mexico.

Yup! is me...a LOT younger!
john-glenn-13.jpg

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.......here we go! Began in 1960.......

My History, and Why

This story begins many years ago when I was just another wild and crazy 10 year old, living near a gorgeous white sand beach, near a small town named Titusville.

It seemed like just another town, like many other I had lived in. My father was a Captain in the Air Force, stationed at a nearby new base called Cape Canaveral, home of our nations fledgling space program, incredible sand beaches, swimming, fishing, and diving. We lived in base housing near Patrick Air Station which just happened to be right on the beach, just across the Highway, US A1A.

Well this made for interesting adventures for a 10 year old kid, just a "rock's throw" from the beach. I remember seeing our nation's efforts in space exploration unfold before my eyes, standing on "my" beach, named "Satellite Beach".

I witnessed many a launch at the space port, as my dad would know when the launches were to take place. The family would go to Cape Canaveral and be able to drive right up to the canal separating us from the launch pad. We would fish all night waiting for the launch, catching all sorts of fish, and then be treated to the largest fireworks show in the world, the launching of a Titan rocket, one of the worlds largest missles.

Some of them would blow up on the launch pad, some exploding a few hundred feet in the air, and some blown up by launch control on purpose when the missle went haywire and headed for town.

It was truly amazing fishing! We also were able to see the first launch of a chimp named Enos into space and eventually the first 10 astronauts hurled into space and return.

One I remember well was when Col. John Glen was the first American to orbit the earth and return. They brought him back to Patrick Air Station with President Kennedy. There was a small parade on base, near the hanger where they kept the then still secret U2.

My mom had made a sign that said, "WELCOME TO EARTH COL. GLEN!" Well my family and I were kind of embarrassed when mom took the sign with us, as it was before anyone had signs at events like that, but she was soon surrounded by photographers, news reels, and reporters, so she handed me the sign and the next day there was our picture in the newspaper with Col. Glen and JFK.

My love of the beach and saltwater was born out of this and other events which kept us out in the salt spray with the smells of the beach, the clear blue water, the turtles nesting in the evening, and our weekend bonfires and cookouts (of course with fishing always going on). It was one afternoon when we were digging a pit for a bonfire when we started to unearth something strange and unusual.

I was digging away in the sand when I hit something old, hard, and long. My two brothers, mom and dad, and some friends that were with us were all soon around the pit, digging away. We began to dig up what appeared to be a very large ship's mast, that of a Spanish Galleon. Little did we know that in 1715 there were a number of Spanish Galleons traveling from Havana Cuba to Spain that were blown off course by a hurricane and sunk within yards of our feet!

As time would have it our next door neighbor on base was named Major Dan Thompson. Dan and a group of his buddies did research in Spain and were looking for this fleet of sunken treasure galleons. They dove the reefs between Sebastion Inlet and Cape Canaveral searching and searching for the treasure of the lost fleet almost every weekend. They had no success and were out of money and ambition. But one afternoon Dan had found an inshore reef just off of "my" beach, and persuaded the dive team to have another go at it.

They dove the area, finding nothing until until Dan turned over a piece of rock, intending to use it as a seat which had already been examined by other divers. There was pay dirt, the glimmer of GOLD. Encrusted in the rock were many coins, and other treasures. Their years of work turned into the proverbial gold mine as they formed "The Real Eight Corp" and ended up finding millions in treasure and many more of the lost Spanish fleet. I remember playing in his garage, sitting on cannons, stacking silver plates, and tossing coins around, like a kid in a toy box.

Events like this and being stationed around the world visiting and diving many different oceans and seas had a lasting life-long imprint on me; the ocean was in my blood. My grandfather was a fisherman, my father a fisherman, and they taught me to be a fisherman. My first real reef experience was in 1971.

I got to fly "space available" on a military aircraft to Hawaii. We stayed right on Wakiki beach, and I was in paradise. The reef was about 100 yards off shore and I can tell you about collecting coral heads by grabbing and hanging on in about 10 feet of water until the next wave broke, tearing me and the coral off the bottom and tumbling towards shore.

Upon reaching the beach, I made a nice pile of coral, but noticed many incredibly colored fish coming out of the corals. I quickly returned them to the water, and the next swim out to the reef, I looked at this new world that I had overlooked before. The life was amazing! I thought to myself, this is what I wanted to do, as I was 18 and just heading to college.

I became a certified diver in 1972 diving the coast of California and enrolled as an oceanography major at a school in northern California. Finding out that physics and I did not mix, I ended up an electronics major. The last year at school found me traveling to Florida with a friend to visit my brother in Orlando to find a summer job at the newly opened Disney World.

Well, I never made it back to California; I landed a job as a traveling photographer. The company I worked for made a serious mistake one week by assigning me to a shoot in Key West, Florida. Upon arriving at this small island I found a hotel room and stood there looking out the window. On one side was the Atlantic Ocean, and as I turned around, the Gulf of Mexico was only yards away.

That was it, the fish bit me. I retired that day, informing my boss of my immediate resignation, and the fact that they would not see me again; please send my last check, care of "Paradise".

There is one big problem with paradise though: you still have to make a living. I had a house payment in Tampa and the payment on my van kept on coming. I met a couple of fellows at the boat ramp one day, and pretty soon, with some good instruction, was living the dream, collecting tropical fish in paradise.

But now it is time to begin this story again at the foot of the infamous Skyway Bridge, connecting St. Petersburg and Bradenton Florida. I was there collecting one day back in the early 1980's, as this was a spot that was loaded with hermit crabs and calurpa. As I was pulling the Caulerpa off the rocks, a rock came up with the plant.

I stashed it in my collection bag, and proceeded on collecting critters. Next stop would be the wholesaler I sold to back then, Manila Aquatics. Unloading the crabs and plants, Jerry, the owner noticed the rock and said, "hey that is neat, get me some more."

Well this was before reef tanks, mini reef tanks, or anybody keeping live corals in their tanks. So the next day I loaded my TR7 convertible full of the first "Live Rock" harvested on the west coast of Florida. Having to come up with a price for the rock, I came up with $5, $7 and $9 per rock, depending on the size.

I sold rock this way for about 6 months, then the "Mini Reef" technology from Germany hit the market and pretty soon live rock sales took off! Now there was a way to keep this rock alive with these new systems, and with every tank imported into the states, a need for live rock.

Pretty soon I was bringing in 25 five gallon buckets a day of rock to Jerry. Things had changed price-wise also as I was charging $25 per bucket, instead of by the piece.

I continued collecting for Jerry for about a year until I developed markets outside of our area, where we could get a better price for the live rock. Things changed again price-wise and we began charging by the pound, being 50 cents back then.

Soon there was another diver, Graham Carlton, on the scene and he began collecting and selling to the same wholesaler, which in turn evolved into new markets.

I met my business partner, Mark Caldwell about this time and we began diving and collecting together and soon we had a boat that allowed us to expand our collection area and venture out into the Gulf of Mexico.

Yup! is me...a LOT younger!
john-glenn-13.jpg
Awesome story! John Glenn was actually born less than 10 miles from my house

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In our microbiology of cycling thread, we have referenced TBS shipping practices/skip cycle work regarding nitrification ability conferred, several times. We use it to highlight stark differences in cycling based on whether someone is using dry rock, which gets a shot of ammonia, or quality live rock transfer, where adding mass ammonia is counterproductive...stressing for benthic animals, and every single cycle article online does not make that distinction. We need updates

Your business practice and science is a large part of our discussion thread, we've sent ya some biz for sure/earned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
liverock

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK....more ancient history....lol...

Tampa Bay Saltwater Is Formed

This episode of the history of live rock begins back in 1984, when I ran into a guy named Mark Caldwell. He was an avid fisherman, and when our paths in life crossed, it was the beginning of our company, Tampa Bay Saltwater.

Collecting saltwater critters back in the 80's proved to be an arduous burden without use of a boat to get off shore. Mark had saved up $1,000.00 from his land based job, which gave us an opportunity to look for a vessel to explore the depths of the Gulf of Mexico.

We shopped around the boat dealers, garage sales, and finally a newspaper add proved to be the place where we purchased our first vessel, The Critter Getter.

She was a 20 foot Cobia, a very old and tired boat, but was just like new to us. The people we bought it from could not get the engine started when we came to look at it, thus we were able to wrangle the price from $2,500.00 down to $1,000.00, which we had allocated for a boat.

It had an old Johnson 135 horse power motor, and a trailer to sit on. We purchased the boat and were all set to embark on the Gulf for the first time. Not knowing the area of Tarpon Springs Florida, we found a little fish camp called Dukes Marina. It was to become our home for over twelve years.

I remember well our first dive together, as we had limited equipment and experience diving the gulf. The first day diving together proved to be quite the experience, as I was a certified diver since 1972, but Mark had never been under the water before.

We launched the boat at Dukes, proceeded out the Anclote river, following the channel markers (yes, we found out what they meant real quick) out and around Anclote Key and into the gulf. You learn real fast when the water goes from being navigable to less than two inches deep, that red markers mean "red right return". That is returning from sea, keep the red marker on the right and the green on the left, and just the opposite on heading out to sea. We "shined" up the prop real well the first few trips, finding the sand bars and shallow water the hard way.

Not knowing the Gulf yet, we went straight out west into the Gulf where we saw a yellow buoy on the horizon. This buoy turned out to be marking an artificial reef called "Tarpon Artificial". Although "artificial" did not describe it properly, as there was a beautiful wild reef all around this buoyed area. We anchored up the boat and proceeded to "gear up".

Having little money we were real short on the proper equipment to outfit two divers, as I had always dived alone. We scrapped together an extra regulator, fins and mask, but were without an extra weight belt. Now here we were out in the middle of the Gulf, Mark having never dove before, faulty equipment, but with the desire to collect marine life.

So Mark became creative, found some rope on the boat, threaded some extra weights together we had on board, and produce his "Jesus" belt. He named it this as he had it tied around his waist, with no way to get it untied, if he had a problem underwater, so he said "I'll be seeing Jesus if this doesn't work"!

More to come...

U

User1

View Badges
Stand up fella for sure. Biggest reef mistake I made was not using TBS rock but alas two in college it wasn't possible at the time. Not that it is expensive just the amount I was looking at wasn't possible and I didn't plan in the bigger picture - such is life.

The other thing I like is that a few years back on another forum I received an email from Richard. Just out of the blue talking about my diving in Northern California (Point Lobos to be exact) and how he learned here. Based on my exchanges with him it isn't just a job it is a passion. It is done right. It is done with blood, sweat, and tears. Hard work. And to top it off he even put in some sound advice about Men's Health I must say (go in for my check on Sept 11th :) ).

Who knows - one day when the cleaning of the shop is going on and there is a box full of left over coral nuggets or flower nems I'll be able to order that :)

Thanks Richard - you do the hobby a great service while being environment friendly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back