History was made with the $24,999.99 fish!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this do?
Peppermint.jpg

$10 from my LFS, best deal on a peppermint angel ever! Doesn't seem to move much though...
I ordered one but sadly it didn't make it
taza_de_cafe_espinas_de_pez_negras_de_los_pescados-r79b9199e6b9945b692a508ba15f41f78_x7jgr_8byvr_307.jpg

Jose A Venereo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a shame it was not a breeding pair and try breeding them in captivity. Several Centropyge sp. have been successfully breed in captivity. Apparently this is a female.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the saying " More money thank sense " comes to mind. As has already been said on here , if it normally lives around 400 ft its organs will not work correctly in 2 feet of water , and if it has gone to a public aquarium somewhere , the public wont bother , its just another prity fish to them. If they are so rare, leave them where they belong

Money is relative. I can only imagine that the new owner makes 50 times more than the national average. The purchase for them was probably like you and I spending 300 dollars.

Mark

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually was at the home last weekend where this fish is going. The owner, whose a friend currently has a peppermint and three captive bred G. personatus angels. The Gp are about five years old at this point. It's been a while so some on R2R may not recall the story about the Gp angels and how they came to be. It was amazing seeing such a collection of rare fish under one roof. His fish are from this batch:

I was able to grab a quick iPhone video of the fish in their temporary homes. In the background is the 16,000 gallon tank still under construction. Wishing him the best of luck with the new arrival.

Last edited:

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bitter? Aaaah no. I would NOT take the fish if it was given to me.

Dogs, cats, birds, fish are all kept as pets CAPTIVITYLY but its 90+% in their natural environment.

I have a 6ft 180g and wouldnt put more than two tangs in there if someone paid me. Not fair to the 3rd tang.

But what do I know, you have all the answers. Lol
Have you ever been to central/South America? There are flocks of macaws, pionus, and yellow nape parrots (and others) flying freely all over the place. It is breathtaking to watch. There is no way a bird is 90+% in its natural environment when in a cage in your living room. Same goes for wild caught fish. We do the best we can. But we can never accurately duplicate their natural environment. I’m sorry, I politely disagree.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some one can afford it, most can't or prefer not to spend their money on that. It's life in a free market. I just hope this doesn't start to drive prices up on "rare items". The car auction market is a great example of how some cars can drive prices into stupid range because someone had the money and wanted it.

I'm sure they had a buyer before it ever went on the market. The entire thing was a show to generate interest, media coverage.. etc. Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors.

@skimjim
You can't have your cake and eat it too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_can't_have_your_cake_and_eat_it

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, does anybody really think there was a long line of folks refreshing their browsers at 6 pm ET with a stack of 250 benjamins ready to pounce …… DD certainly will try to get you a specific fish if you ask, but it then never appears on the daily list.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s really sad, that here, on a reef/fish forum we can’t all just appreciate a beautiful fish and wish the buyer success.

What makes some of these posts even more silly, it’s a Pygmy Angelfish for crying out loud, they stay small and would only need an 80-100 gallon tank, it’s like keeping a Multibar or a venustus, they also come from deep waters and they are frequently kept in the hobby.

There is more injustice in PetCo selling juvenile clown tangs, triggers or sohal tangs... knowing that someone that doesn’t know any better might buy these fish and put in a 40 gallon not realizing there true needs.

Chances are, someone that pays $25K on this fish know what they are doing and is going to take really good care of this fish. Be happy for the fish and for the new owner. Congrats whoever they are!

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but how does a thread turn from “hey check this out” to a “heated debate”
Because when it is about something that is a rather large sum of money, people are more than willing to share their opinion of the buyer.

Cheche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tf.... 25k and then you get ich in your tank .. no way . But I’m sure if you have the $ to spend 25k on one fish that means you have the $ to take care of this fish .. and for my preference not even a pretty fish .. my opinion..good luck with that fish and the history making ‍♂️

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love it if anyone knows that this buyer exists, period. We dont want his name. Just proof someone bought it.

Where am I going here?

Online vendors/forum sellers can easily "fake" a sale to create a market. Look at this thread. It has created an impression that there is demand at 25k for this fish. Perhaps 15k is the true equilibrium, but next time it pops up for sale wealthy buyers will jump on it for 25k bc a comp has been established.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on other forums for other hobbies and none of them count other people's money like this one does. These threads rapidly decline into a "I don't like it so nobody should do it."

Anyone touting a conspiracy, do you bet "Zebra!" when you hear hoofbeats? Or do you take it at face value, play the odds, and think "horse?" Sure a fake sale is possible, but I don't think even remotely as possible as this being just what it looks like. If anyone can share proof instead of just speculation, I will happily eat crow.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually was at the home last weekend where this fish is going. The owner, whose a friend currently has a peppermint and three captive bred G. personatus angels. The Gp are about five years old at this point. It's been a while so some on R2R may not recall the story about the Gp angels and how they came to be. It was amazing seeing such a collection of rare fish under one roof. His fish are from this batch:

I was able to grab a quick iPhone video of the fish in their temporary homes. In the background is the 16,000 gallon tank still under construction. Wishing him the best of luck with the new arrival.

Those G. personatus are incredible. My favorite fish in the sea. Congratulations to the owner of this tank and the new owner of this second peppermint!

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on other forums for other hobbies and none of them count other people's money like this one does. These threads rapidly decline into a "I don't like it so nobody should do it."

Anyone touting a conspiracy, do you bet "Zebra!" when you hear hoofbeats? Or do you take it at face value, play the odds, and think "horse?" Sure a fake sale is possible, but I don't think even remotely as possible as this being just what it looks like. If anyone can share proof instead of just speculation, I will happily eat crow.
There have been numerous ppl on reefcentral that were outed for fake sales to create a fake market.

When im not at work ill try to dig up the link.

Back