History was made with the $24,999.99 fish!

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Okay- a couple things.

I already have seen behind the “curtain”. The person who purchased the fish has over 16k gallons of Aquariums in their home, and has many fish in a similar price range (including, one of these exact angels). Now he will have a pair.

Did you talk to the owner and ask about how he obtained the fish?

That is why I discourage people from inventing (false) hypothetical situations. (Is that better than saying conspiracy theories?) Why should a company disclose to you the identity of a customer who purchased something very valuable? That is NEVER the case in any business; it’s called customer confidentiality.

Broadly speaking, to as not to ID the individual, where/how did they get the kind of money that setup/collection must have cost?! Just genuinely curious.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadly speaking, to as not to ID the individual, where/how did they get the kind of money that setup/collection must have cost?! Just genuinely curious.
Haha. Why do you care where he got the money. Some ppl work hard and save/ invest wisely. Maybe he's an entrepreneur. Maybe he inherited it..

Either way, why do you care?

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on other forums for other hobbies and none of them count other people's money like this one does.
Glad it wasn't just me that noticed this too.

High costs seem to be a overwhelming topic in this hobby in which anytime someone voices their discontent its met with an army of people defending the costs. This is something you don't see to this extent in hobbies with even higher cost of entry. Many of those defending these high prices don't seem to be the ones paying them but often seem to have a personal interest in maintaining them. I suppose being in this hobby long enough you gotta fund it somehow. I personally understand and have absolutely no issue with it. I just know what I need to spend in order to participate but even then I can't help but feel like I'm being gouged in every purchase I make. I never get that feeling in hobbies that are much more expensive. There just might be too many industry shills or people who have commercial interest among those who are purely just hobbyists. The presence feels more than overwhelming at times and is not the kind of vibe I get in other hobbies I've enjoyed whether it be watches, guns, photography, art or exotic cars. This one just seems expensive because it is small enough to not have much competition.

I think it is kind of silly to even consider LA faking the sale of the peppermint angel. It is a beautiful fish and I am very happy for the buyer. I do however question whether any of us truly had the opportunity to purchase this fish if we wanted to. I think fair to feel this way without being accused of questioning the integrity of anyone involved.

ndvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think fish that are considered "rare" should be collected. (my 2 cents)

ndvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s “rare” in our hobby.... not endangered. Then it wouldn’t be legal to collect ;)
My point has nothing to do with being legal or illegal...its ethically irresponsible if not enough is known about the species survival rate, habitat, and sustainability.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point has nothing to do with being legal or illegal...its ethically irresponsible if not enough is known about the species survival rate, habitat, and sustainability.

Well, how do you think we learn about the species survival rate, habitat, and sustainability?

;)

Same way we did with clownfish or cardinalfish my friend :). To discourage this is to discourage all science.

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ethics aren't absolute, nobody has the same set. It may be ethically irresponsible to one and not another. My personal ethics keep me from making an argument about the collection of fish while I participate in a hobby that depends on the collection of fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool fish! Really Hope at some point we get to see more videos of it and the tank it’s in!

Everyone’s talking about a $50 gift card, I guess the 20% off divers den summer sizzler sale passed! Sure would of beat that gift card!

When you buy fish, they often send you a 15% off code so if the person had bought fish recently in a prior order, they should have gotten 15% off :)

How many showed this pic to their significant other and said... "and you think I'm crazy!?"

As always enjoying the conversations here! For the most part any ways.

I showed it to my hubby and he said "that is a lot of money for an average looking fish"

He doesn't know anything about the hobby what what I show him so if you put him in a room with a bunch of angelfish and said he could take one home for free. He wouldn't recognize what is rare or expensive and is more likely to bring home a flame angelfish than a peppermint since he seems to like those.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least its cheaper than that 1.8m koi [emoji23]
And if were able to breed its offspring would still be worth 25k unlike the koi that always produce a mixture varied mixture of offspring that most end up being culled.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this has been a topic. went all over the place from who is the person who paid 25K for a fish to a ethics and morals discussion, and back again.

In the end its nobody's business.
Fact The fish was legally caught.
Fact The guy had the money to buy the fish.
Fact His paying 25K will never alter the future costs of things in this hobby. 99.99% of us can't afford such things, (Including myself) and we wont buy it if the cost gets to high, that's the other side of the capitalism coin, who has the majority say? The .01% that will pay 25K for a fish or the millions that will never pay it? Common sense here folks. The majority here will rule.
Fact So what if it was pre ordered?
Fact So what if they put it on the site and it sold to him randomly? Either way most could not afford to buy it.
Fact Sometime we need to look at ourselves (Yes me included) and come to reality.
I am happy for the person who bought this fish, I am assuming the fish will be well cared for.

If we want to discuss a honest to goodness subject, the lets pick one of real relevance based on real merit, ethics, and morals.
Something that we all can sink our collective thoughts on and fix a real wrong.
Like the one I brought up before in one of my prior posts.

If this fish was even $500.00 99% of us would never buy it let alone ever bring it up for discussion.

Ok Ok rant over, its hot outside and I have been bustin it in the sun, while others have been skating.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s “rare” in our hobby.... not endangered. Then it wouldn’t be legal to collect ;)

It’s listed as least concerned only because their is no population data... That’s the case for many/most reef fish.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Why do you care where he got the money. Some ppl work hard and save/ invest wisely. Maybe he's an entrepreneur. Maybe he inherited it..

Haha. Why do you post snarky things. Some ppl are just curious and ask questions/observe to become wise. Maybe I was just wondering. Maybe I’m a G-man..

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Why do you post snarky things. Some ppl are just curious and ask questions/observe to become wise. Maybe I was just wondering. Maybe I’m a G-man..

I post snarky things when ppl post annoying things.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back