History was made with the $24,999.99 fish!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but if this fish is used to living at 400 feet, how can it survive in 2 feet of water in an aquarium?

Not a dumb question at all. It has to be acclimated to the lower pressure gradually and has to have it's swim bladder decompressed with a needle. Once that is accomplished it can live normally in an aquarium.

I remember reading about the procedure that has to be done to get the fish up safely from the depths it is normally found. Seems like I remember it takes a couple of days to do so.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not a dumb question at all. It has to be acclimated to the lower pressure gradually and has to have it's swim bladder decompressed with a needle. Once that is accomplished it can live normally in an aquarium.

I remember reading about the procedure that has to be done to get the fish up safely from the depths it is normally found. Seems like I remember it takes a couple of days to do so.

Yea, but why?!? I sometimes find myself at a crossroad between stop punishing poor fish and oh i want that in my salt water tank. you want to bring a fish to a completely different environment that involves a) multi day acclimation and b) stick this needle in his swimmy thing to let the pressure out so his insides don’t blow up to the outside...at what point do you draw the line?

Next question, what are you going to do with lighting for this guy? Photosynthesis stops around 600 feet, at 400 feet, photosynthesis happens, but not like it does on a reef. Meaning lighting is minimal at that depth. So what is this guy gonna do in a 2 foot reef tank? Might wanna throw some SPS 500 in there; maybe some aloe Vera too.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of Peppermints in the US in private hands. And I know of a few overseas. They prefer colder water. And because they are so shy they are usually kept in darker tanks without too many other fish so that they are more comfortable and more active. The ones in the states have been here for 3+ years. This was the first Peppermint that actually was offered to the general public. The others have always been sold privately.

And amazingly this is not the most expensive angel in a hobbyists aquarium. I know of another angel that actually had a higher price tag... And the collector ended up buying a second one within the year of purchasing the first one.

Dave B

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a marketing stunt IMO but hey, it's America, marketing is legal

What I mean is they must have already had a buyer ready before putting it on the site. Basically it wasn't a "Hey we are offering this fish for 25K" and some random online buyer bought it. No that's probably not what happened. The person that collects the fish may have been in contact with LA to "make the sale" since LA has a lot of customers, it knows the highest end customers that would be interested in this fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool looking fish. I hope its not elusive in the buyer's tank the way it is in the reef. Thats probably an amazingly stocked aquarium.

I'm not sure I would want to put anything in with a 25k fish....afraid something else bright bring in disease or bully it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-7-11_6-57-1.jpeg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I mean is they must have already had a buyer ready before putting it on the site. Basically it wasn't a "Hey we are offering this fish for 25K" and some random online buyer bought it. No that's probably not what happened. The person that collects the fish may have been in contact with LA to "make the sale" since LA has a lot of customers, it knows the highest end customers that would be interested in this fish.
I think the same thing! The fish was pre-sold, they just wanted to establish a high price point for future sales... I doubt they actually got that price.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's no different than a car or a piece of art or jewelry. It's rare and someone can afford to buy it, so they do. The others that are in private hands are with very dedicated, well informed fish lovers. I'm sure this one is also. If you are going to collect rare and beautiful things you will create an appropriate environment for them. I too hope it gets displayed so I can see it.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LiveAquaria sends out a preview every afternoon of what they are listing at 6pm est.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the same thing! The fish was pre-sold, they just wanted to establish a high price point for future sales... I doubt they actually got that price.

Nah, do your research. Last one was sold for around 30k.

LiveAquaria sends out a preview in the morning for what they are listing at 6pm. Many people, including myself, monitor that preview and snatch up stuff at 6:01 pm.

No need for conspiracy theories lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back