History was made with the $24,999.99 fish!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny-Dog-Eating-Popcorn-Video-Gif.gif

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the convo was clear.

I think buying and hopefully keeping an animal waaaaay outside it's natural habitat is not a wise choice.

But! Who am.i to tell ppl how to spend their money. Forgive me for coming across that way.

I just think its injustice to buy an animal that has no reason to be in an unnatural environment.

All.my fish? Yeah somewhat in my own unnatural environment but the youngest one is 5yrs old. Smthg to be said about that.

Ley me backpedal a bit. I have no idea who bought this fish. Maybe the person is a Master in the hobby...has a HUGE tank. Facts are unknown.

Just this post reminds me everytime I see a Flame Angel and know with a 90% certainty that it will.not survive past 12mos. I get frustrated when I see them at LFSs.

This outrageous fish reminds me of that.....

Where are you getting this flame angel info? They are not a difficult fish to keep.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also not a fan of the "whataboutism" that this hobby likes to tout when comparing the tropic fish taken for aquariums vs. fish caught for food.
My point here wasn't to say well look what they did mom. My point was that by going to a restaurant or store, buying and eating seafood we silently endorse the loss of life that is by-catch.

I don't think your points on cats & dogs (and horses to a lesser extent) is valid since they have truly been domesticated over thousands of years and would no longer survive in the wild. Other than that I don't think it's an ethical dilemma, I think it's wrong. Do zoos still pull animals out of the wild
You just proved my point. Because they ARE so long domesticated and don't reflect their wild origins very well we are "allowed" to posses them without ridicule.

Please understand I am not arguing with you, rather I'm trying to highlight the hypocrisy that exist against this hobby/pet ownership versus others. No personal decision on pet ownership is wrong,IMO, as long as it's made without malice towards the animal and includes educating oneself to the animals needs and striving to provide that or even choosing not to have the animal at all. Both decisions are acceptable in my eyes.

As a side note..... The one gentleman I know of with a peppermint angel has in fact created a temperature and light appropriate tank for it as well as it's cohabitants.

I see nothing wrong with respectful discussion of opposing views. Nor is there any one "correct" view for everyone. In such I hope no-one has been offended by this discussion.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria sends out a preview every afternoon of what they are listing at 6pm est.

Nah, do your research. Last one was sold for around 30k.

LiveAquaria sends out a preview in the morning for what they are listing at 6pm. Many people, including myself, monitor that preview and snatch up stuff at 6:01 pm.

No need for conspiracy theories lol

Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have to cast aspirations by calling my theory a "Conspiracy Theory."

That's wrong. You can disagree and be civil about it.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria sends out a preview every afternoon of what they are listing at 6pm est.

They still could have had a buyer lined up. Why would a business invest 25k in a fish ? They have profits to waste? [RHETORICAL]
When you sell a 25k fish, yes you make PROFIT. BUT, you also have a huge opportunity to publicise the transaction.

There is NOTHING wrong with that. But I prefer to see behind the "Magic Curtain" than to be wooed and awed without self-awareness.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still could have had a buyer lined up. Why would a business invest 25k in a fish ? They have profits to waste? [RHETORICAL]
When you sell a 25k fish, yes you make PROFIT. BUT, you also have a huge opportunity to publicise the transaction.

There is NOTHING wrong with that. But I prefer to see behind the "Magic Curtain" than to be wooed and awed without self-awareness.

Lol. Okay- a couple things.

I already have seen behind the “curtain”. The person who purchased the fish has over 16k gallons of Aquariums in their home, and has many fish in a similar price range (including, one of these exact angels). Now he will have a pair.

Did you talk to the owner and ask about how he obtained the fish?

That is why I discourage people from inventing (false) hypothetical situations. (Is that better than saying conspiracy theories?) Why should a company disclose to you the identity of a customer who purchased something very valuable? That is NEVER the case in any business; it’s called customer confidentiality.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I already have seen behind the “curtain”. The person who purchased the fish has over 16k gallons of Aquariums in their home, and has many fish in a similar price range (including, one of these exact angels). Now he will have a pair.

It's vital that people with FIRST HAND knowledge like yourself Come Forward in order to show the public what went on. The general public depends on whistleblowers to level the information playing field. What you did today is for the greater good and we all thank you for it

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's vital that people with FIRST HAND knowledge like yourself Come Forward in order to show the public what went on. The general public depends on whistleblowers to level the information playing field. What you did today is for the greater good and we all thank you for it

I can’t tell if this is sarcastic lol. But if not..: you’re welcome? It’s not really “whistleblowing”. There was no conspiracy in the first place. They sold an expensive angel- and there was nothing unusual about the transaction.... you can see $25k angels online currently. An advanced hobbiest who can afford the fish, bought the fish.

For example, here is another expensive angel. No conspiracy.

UXhp4q8.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but if this fish is used to living at 400 feet, how can it survive in 2 feet of water in an aquarium?

A handful of these have been collected over the last 5 years or so ….. survivial has not been good. Perhaps a function of improper depressurization/acclimation, perhaps something else. The DD specimen presumably carried a premium over even the normally crazy $$ for this fish because it had survived for a while.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell if this is sarcastic lol. But if not..: you’re welcome? It’s not really “whistleblowing”. There was no conspiracy in the first place. They sold an expensive angel- and there was nothing unusual about the transaction.... you can see $25k angels online currently.
it's faux sarcastic, so two negatives make a positive

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that's just cruel ! Just kidding. It's kinda like having two broken arms and an itchy nose, lol. Cute dog though.
Agreed! I was looking for a popcorn gif and this popped ;) Poor pooch , that is cruel and my point to the earlier (heated) discussion, people keep all types of pets that are not living as they should.
I am in Michigan and 20 years ago Green Peace broke into MSU and freed the Minks that were being studied, some returned but several died because they did not know how to hunt or find food and became food.
Most Species at the zoo are captive bread and couldn't survive in the wild.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is why I discourage people from inventing (false) hypothetical situations. (Is that better than saying conspiracy theories?) Why should a company disclose to you the identity of a customer who purchased something very valuable? That is NEVER the case in any business; it’s called customer confidentiality.

I'll only believe that if I see a picture of you holding the daily newspaper next to the fish. Otherwise my theory is there was a secret bidding war and you can't convince me otherwise because it could be possible.

Hopefully you don't wonder if this one is sarcasm :)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll only believe that if I see a picture of you holding the daily newspaper next to the fish. Otherwise my theory is there was a secret bidding war and you can't convince me otherwise because it could be possible.

Hopefully you don't wonder if this one is sarcasm :)

Beep beep... processing

1Ygbljf.png

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell if this is sarcastic lol. But if not..: you’re welcome? It’s not really “whistleblowing”. There was no conspiracy in the first place. They sold an expensive angel- and there was nothing unusual about the transaction.... you can see $25k angels online currently. An advanced hobbiest who can afford the fish, bought the fish.

For example, here is another expensive angel. No conspiracy.

UXhp4q8.jpg

Now this is the fish I would buy if I had $25k to spend on a fish!

Back