History was made with the $24,999.99 fish!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would put my daughter through college and/or would pay off my mortgage

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share a pic with us. I don't recall ever seeing a photo of your tank and would love to see it.

With a photo of today's newspaper next to it ;)

Taken on my Samsung cellphone just now. Doesn't do it justice with the overexposed blue light
20190711_204637.jpg

20190711_204613.jpg

20190711_204545.jpg

20190711_204518.jpg

20190711_204447.jpg

20190711_204348.jpg

20190711_204102.jpg

Last edited:

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned quickly to not pass judgement on these seemingly over the top purchases. It's not always what it looks like...
Anyone remember the thread about 6-7 months ago about a guy that spent $10k on a nem?
Yeah, lots of the same sentiment then. Turns out he was an R2R member, and came on to address the community. He'd been a reefer since he was like 10, and built a business from the ground up with his own money. The nem was a "bucket list" thing that was going into a tank at a daycare facility run by a charity.
So I don't judge, not cool.

He's already got one pep, so it's safe to assume he knows what he's doing. Maybe there's a plan afoot to breed them. And maybe 5 years from now, we'll see aquacultured ones thanks to this purchase.

JacquieBeginnerReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to believe someone paid that much - I mean it’s cute and all, but...
The Cook Islands on the other hand are absolutely gorgeous and well worth a visit. I’d spend the money on a vacay there and take an underwater camera to try to capture the elusive fish on camera...instead of owning one. :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would put my daughter through college and/or would pay off my mortgage

Dang, vetteguy! Where are you sending that girl to school? That only pays for a year of instate tuition/room and board here! :D

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand most of the arguments here but lets use a reality check here or some real common sense.

There is nothing unethical about this. Like it or not that's the fact. I am not throwing stones or belittling anyone here.
Though some have bowed out of the thread I am sure your reading it anyway.
If this fish is the one that breaks the ethical code then well...… in reality don't they all?

The very first captive fish ever by a human and put into a glass box is/was wrong and unethical, and has been going on for a millennia.

I ask everyone in here why are we upset at this guy and put him/her on the chopping block for buying the Peppermint Angel?

I ask what is more unethical?

little girl or boy who go to the fish store for the first time, and just have to have that first fish.
So they buy to small a tank, inadequate filter, some water conditioner, and the wrong fish for the setup.
They don't know how to care for it, the parents don't know how, they drop the bag in the parking lot because the child has to hold the fish, while the parents hold the hardware, and its dead within a few days.
Yea the store owner or employee try's to provide a five min care guide but hell, We all know the outcome don't we.

What do you call that? Raise of hands here how many of you have seen this first hand in the LFS and know that the fish going out of the store is doomed, but just watch it happen and can't do anything about it.

I have never found an article on R2R about that situation? Anyone else find that subject in the forums?

But lets raise cane on ONE expensive rare fish, but turn a blind eye, and 0 comments on the hundreds of thousands of cheap fish.
YES I am ASSUMING here, the person(s) who buy such rare and expensive fish are educated and or have people around them who are educated and understand what's needed for the fishes proper care. That fish will live one-hundred times longer than most of the cheap first time fish.

I just don't see buying a rare expensive fish no matter its natural environment being unethical, but what can I say that's my two cents worth of opinion. YMMV.

We are the top of the food chain, therefore we have control over the animals we share the world with.
But alas we are also humans that make a lot of mistakes, but in the long run do learn from them.
We cant learn unless we observe.

Here's one I will be castrated for.
I don't believe in Hunting. That's just a human that wants to kill something period.
However they have the right and I can respect that, I will never protest against hunting, or the hunter, but I feel its wrong none the less.
Yes I eat meat, and I know the animal has to die so I can eat it, and yes I feel its ok.
So I am a bad and hypocritical person I guess. That's being a real human in this world.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back