OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest advice would be the advice everybody on here gives. Only bad things happen quickly in reefing. It will not immediately kill everything. Yes, you should remove it, but take your time. Watch a couple youtube vids on homemade traps. They're noctournal opportunistic omnivores. Should be relatively easy to catch them in a homemade trap at night with a little frozen food in it.

I'm sure if you look up "gorilla crab trap" on YouTube you'll see at least 4 or 5 very usable options. They're incredibly common, and most long term reefers have had one at one point or another.

If it helps ease your mind, I had a tank for almost 4 years with various different fish and corals in it, and I came across a gorilla crab breaking down the tank. Tank was well fed and not casualties.

All that to say don't freak out, take your time, come up with a plan, and enjoy the ride. You'll hit these bumps reefing a lot, and a key to enjoying the hobby is knowing almost nothing is the end of the world and everything can be fixed if you put in the work. Good luck!
Thanks, well see what happens

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i use the bottle trap? With the top cut off and inversed?
I did exactly this and caught 4 gorilla crabs so far. I baited it with shrimp, scooped some sand into the “ramp” part of the trap (inverted top) so the crab would walk right up to the bait. Just make sure to check it offen depending on the size of the crab. The larger ones can escape if you give them a chance to.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly this and caught 4 gorilla crabs so far. I baited it with shrimp, scooped some sand into the “ramp” part of the trap (inverted top) so the crab would walk right up to the bait. Just make sure to check it offen depending on the size of the crab. The larger ones can escape if you give them a chance to.
This is a good point too. If it's that Florida aquacultured live rock you started with, they usually have at least a few gorilla crabs and porcelain crabs. They're essentially the most common hitchhikers on that rock

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good point too. If it's that Florida aquacultured live rock you started with, they usually have at least a few gorilla crabs and porcelain crabs. They're essentially the most common hitchhikers on that rock
That was exactly my situation. I have 30lbs of gulf rock that included both porcelain and gorilla crabs. Unfortunately, I’ve had a total of 5 gorilla crabs and only 2 porcelain crabs. I did get lucky with a “shellback crab” which definitely makes up for the gorillas.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was exactly my situation. I have 30lbs of gulf rock that included both porcelain and gorilla crabs. Unfortunately, I’ve had a total of 5 gorilla crabs and only 2 porcelain crabs. I did get lucky with a “shellback crab” which definitely makes up for the gorillas.
Omg I've never seen one of those before. Those things are otherworldly adorable

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tiny bottle because the crab is so small and it wont be able to crawl back out

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shellback crab??? Those are so cute! congratulations!

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s our shellback! 6834FD86-DDDD-44F7-85D8-4EE0000A450A.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow i have gone through my fair share of hitchhikers the day i got my live rock i saw a bristleworm but it had promptly jumped out of the tank by the next morning
That's a bit concerning. Bristleworms can't jump, and I'd wonder what might have driven it to climb out, whether there's something in the water or maybe a stray electrical current. Those things are hardy.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit concerning. Bristleworms can't jump, and I'd wonder what might have driven it to climb out, whether there's something in the water or maybe a stray electrical current. Those things are hardy.
Oh... it was the very first day i set up my tank and i have just found two baby gorilla crabs but i dont think those would have driven it out

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back