OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feathers means it is a porcelain crab for sure. As someone else pointed out they are completely harmless. They're one of my favorite crabs since they will not harm corals and fish at all. They scavenge and filter feed. I know there are several species of porcelain crabs, but they are all similar. I know some really enjoy anemones to live in and around. I know the lighter colored porcelain crabs inhabit anemones.

As far as the other crab, it's pretty difficult to tell. Might be an emerald crab
Oh yeah the wierd one is 10000% a porcelain crab i saw the wiskers

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That wonkiness can happen if they lose a claw. They'll regain it during molts, but it may take several molts, leaving them lopsided.

If you see a crab that has those very flat claws and the weird feathers, it's a porcelain crab. Not true crabs, and they are 100% reef-safe and harmless to anything larger than a mysis shrimp.
sexy shrimp are fine?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the other crab is indeed a true crab rather than a porcelain crab, it's likely not reef safe. Try a bottle trap.

If your sexy shrimp are larger than mysis shrimp (which are very small, they're used as fish food), the porcelain won't hurt them. Your sexy shrimp might hurt corals, though.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the other crab is indeed a true crab rather than a porcelain crab, it's likely not reef safe. Try a bottle trap.

If your sexy shrimp are larger than mysis shrimp (which are very small, they're used as fish food), the porcelain won't hurt them. Your sexy shrimp might hurt corals, though.
Definitely bigger (i feed frozen mysis shrimp) I dont have corals and dont plan on having them (just a bubble tip anemone)

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can remove the bigger crab with a bottle trap, by catching it with tongs, or by pulling the rock it lives on out and figuring out how to manually grab it.

Once you have it out, if you don't have a 'fuge to put it in, either euthanize it with clove oil (which is good to keep on hand in case of sick livestock that needs to be put out of its misery) or crush it entirely in one clean motion to kill it before it can feel any pain.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the bigger crab with a bottle trap, by catching it with tongs, or by pulling the rock it lives on out and figuring out how to manually grab it.

Once you have it out, if you don't have a 'fuge to put it in, either euthanize it with clove oil (which is good to keep on hand in case of sick livestock that needs to be put out of its misery) or crush it entirely in one clean motion to kill it before it can feel any pain.
Alright thanks for the help I'll wait a bit and try to figure out what it might be and then see what I want to do from there in the meantime if anyone else wants to try and identify the bigger crab that would be very very much appreciated

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crab…? No definitely not…
That is one to worry about. Here's how I got my worrisome crabs out of the DT:

1. Get a few small glass bottles (if you have the Red Sea test kits, these are actually ideal!)
2. Chop a few small pieces of shrimp (not mysis, something heavier like krill)
3. Shortly before lights-out, fill the vials with tank water and drop the shimp pieces in, make sure they sink to the bottom. Give it a bit of time for them to "stew"
4. Suck up some of the juice inside the vials
5. Place them in the tank at various points near the rock the crab hides in--lean them against the rock at different angles, some steeper some flatter but not fully flat.
6. Squirt the shrimp juice near the rock. Get that crab's mouth watering!
7. Check vials in the AM. If shrimp are gone but no crab, try repositioning/reangling. Remove any remaining shrimp and repeat at light-out again. May take several attempts.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for the help I'll wait a bit and try to figure out what it might be and then see what I want to do from there in the meantime if anyone else wants to try and identify the bigger crab that would be very very much appreciated
catch the bigger crab in a bottle and then you can get a really good ID. I know it's a lot of work, but you'll want to make sure, and it's looking like a crab you want out in any case.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one to worry about. Here's how I got my worrisome crabs out of the DT:

1. Get a few small glass bottles (if you have the Red Sea test kits, these are actually ideal!)
2. Chop a few small pieces of shrimp (not mysis, something heavier like krill)
3. Shortly before lights-out, fill the vials with tank water and drop the shimp pieces in, make sure they sink to the bottom. Give it a bit of time for them to "stew"
4. Suck up some of the juice inside the vials
5. Place them in the tank at various points near the rock the crab hides in--lean them against the rock at different angles, some steeper some flatter but not fully flat.
6. Squirt the shrimp juice near the rock. Get that crab's mouth watering!
7. Check vials in the AM. If shrimp are gone but no crab, try repositioning/reangling. Remove any remaining shrimp and repeat at light-out again. May take several attempts.
Yikes that sounds like it might be hard, i have a question for you though, do you think it poses any risk to coral banded shrimp?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the other weirder one (the one with the weird feather things I was talking about before)
100% porcelain crab and a joy to have! Can't tell the coloring from this video, but I would guess green or blue procelain. You can actually train them to come out more and feed them directly. If you have a pipette, get some filter feeder food and mysis, dilute and then slowly squirt it in their direction--they'll eventually start coming out for it when pumps turn off. Then you get a really good look at them.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% porcelain crab and a joy to have! Can't tell the coloring from this video, but I would guess green or blue procelain. You can actually train them to come out more and feed them directly. If you have a pipette, get some filter feeder food and mysis, dilute and then slowly squirt it in their direction--they'll eventually start coming out for it when pumps turn off. Then you get a really good look at them.
nice ok will do

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He is in Indonesia, probably just drive it to the ocean and release it.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes that sounds like it might be hard, i have a question for you though, do you think it poses any risk to coral banded shrimp?
I've never had a gorilla crab grow to larger than an inch carapace, so I don't know. My understanding is that a hungry crab isn't picky about what it picks on, and gorillas can get quite big. I've seen crabs attack and kill each other--I wouldn't put it past a strong gorilla crab. I had one living in an AIO chamber (no idea how it got there) for almost 9 months. It grew quite a lot in that time and is likely still growing in the sump of the person that picked it up from me!

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a gorilla crab grow to larger than an inch carapace, so I don't know. My understanding is that a hungry crab isn't picky about what it picks on, and gorillas can get quite big. I've seen crabs attack and kill each other--I wouldn't put it past a strong gorilla crab. I had one living in an AIO chamber (no idea how it got there) for almost 9 months. It grew quite a lot in that time and is likely still growing in the sump of the person that picked it up from me!
yikes ok ill keep my eye out

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yikes ok ill keep my eye out
Issue I've had is "random" deaths. Come in, find an emerald crab on its back or part of a skunk cleaner. Gorillas are good at hiding and are most active at lights-out. I saw one many months ago and never saw it again even after setting traps. Presumed dead, but then there's those random deaths...

If you have a local reefing community, I've posted online when I catch them and there's suprising interest from local reefers to add them to their sump. Might be an alternative to driving to the ocean!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back