OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Issue I've had is "random" deaths. Come in, find an emerald crab on its back or part of a skunk cleaner. Gorillas are good at hiding and are most active at lights-out. I saw one many months ago and never saw it again even after setting traps. Presumed dead, but then there's those random deaths...

If you have a local reefing community, I've posted online when I catch them and there's suprising interest from local reefers to add them to their sump. Might be an alternative to driving to the ocean!
Hm ok good idea, i have a sad feeling it is a gorilla crab but ill have to wait and see

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, any idea about the other?
Can't tell for sure from the video, but I will echo what others have said that in that lighting it most looks like an emerald crab to me. In a reef tank they often wash out and aren't nearly as green. Also there are many varieties of mithrax crab. Most common are green, red, and black.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell for sure from the video, but I will echo what others have said that in that lighting it most looks like an emerald crab to me. In a reef tank they often wash out and aren't nearly as green. Also there are many varieties of mithrax crab. Most common are green, red, and black.
hmm ok

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thats very worrying and ill try to look up a video to see what kind of trap to make
Sounds good. If in person it's fuzzy looking with black spiky pincers it's gorilla crab. It won't kill everything overnight, but anything it can get its claws on it'll try to kill and eat

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i try removing the rock it escaped into?
My biggest advice would be the advice everybody on here gives. Only bad things happen quickly in reefing. It will not immediately kill everything. Yes, you should remove it, but take your time. Watch a couple youtube vids on homemade traps. They're noctournal opportunistic omnivores. Should be relatively easy to catch them in a homemade trap at night with a little frozen food in it.

I'm sure if you look up "gorilla crab trap" on YouTube you'll see at least 4 or 5 very usable options. They're incredibly common, and most long term reefers have had one at one point or another.

If it helps ease your mind, I had a tank for almost 4 years with various different fish and corals in it, and I came across a gorilla crab breaking down the tank. Tank was well fed and not casualties.

All that to say don't freak out, take your time, come up with a plan, and enjoy the ride. You'll hit these bumps reefing a lot, and a key to enjoying the hobby is knowing almost nothing is the end of the world and everything can be fixed if you put in the work. Good luck!

Back