Hitchhiker coral or pest (or both)?

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for an ID on these little purple buds that appeared on my zoa frag. They survived a coral dip when I first got them, so I wasn't too concerned about them until I found more elsewhere in the tank. I'm thinking they're some sort of clove polyp as I think they have multiple arms, but they're so small and dense it's hard for me to tell. They haven't grown much in size in the past two to three weeks.

clovesmaybe.png

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell in that picture but it looks like purple/blue clove polyps but I could be wrong. Do you have a clearer picture?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those appear to be blue clove polyps.

Did you recently bring in that zoa frag?

Research into them... If you have even the Slightest chance to get rid of them now, Do it

I would throw any piece of rock in my tank away, Before allowing blue clove polyps on it. They will literally take over an entire tank.

OP
OP
Petrichor

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those appear to be blue clove polyps.

Did you recently bring in that zoa frag?

Research into them... If you have even the Slightest chance to get rid of them now, Do it

I would throw any piece of rock in my tank away, Before allowing blue clove polyps on it. They will literally take over an entire tank.
Darn, looking at online pictures that looks like what I have. I just assumed they'd spread like normal cloves, but obviously not.

Is there any chance to save the zoa frag? Would a kalkwasser paste be enough to stop them?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, looking at online pictures that looks like what I have. I just assumed they'd spread like normal cloves, but obviously not.

Is there any chance to save the zoa frag? Would a kalkwasser paste be enough to stop them?
Your best bet is to try to remove some of the zoas from the frag plug and glue them to a new plug/rock. Then watch closely to make sure the cloves don't reappear...

Back