Hitchhiker found.

markbroda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Last night finally i had the ability to get this lovely "coral crab" out of my tank.

Just a few questions probably no space to put it in the aio back sump s chamber because its too small place.

Any idea??

Shall i diy a small quarantine box and let it in the tank?

Thank youuuuu

Mark

20191205_140301.jpg

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral was he on? I know a lot of people don't trust any crabs hitchhiking but I would watch it for a little while see how he behaves.

OP
OP
markbroda

markbroda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral was he on? I know a lot of people don't trust any crabs hitchhiking but I would watch it for a little while see how he behaves.
He was in a huge liverock from lfs. And most probably from singapore. :)
As its still small no harm, but like now, its getting bigger and almost not even able to hide in the rocks. As far as i know the bigger it is the more agressive will become. I mean fish cuc are dangered.

Thanks for reply.

OP
OP
markbroda

markbroda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a stone crab, common hitchhiker on live rock or coral. Unfortunately, he's a bad guy for a reef tank
Thanks for your reply. Was just wondering if i could put it in a breeder box or something.

Thank you Mark

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u can always return it to the LFS. Otherwise if it's got pointy black tipped claws and growing that fast then I would not keep it in display, maybe in sump only.

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you don't want it in your display. Since you don't have a sump (where it would be fine), take it to the LFS.

OP
OP
markbroda

markbroda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for the answers.

I put it back in the return chamber for now and ill figure out where to keep it, because i would like to keep it, not returning it to the lfs. I am thinking to make a breeder box and put a rock and attach it in the display.

Ill keep you updated.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MabuyaQ seems to be the closest. Not sure if that's really the specific species, but it is definitely a Xanthid crab of some sort, and those are generally not reef safe.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be the next mission. Would it need circullacion also? Or a small sponge filter will be fine?
Either or is fine. You need circulation of any kind inside the tank to help the live rock do its nitrifying job and to facilitate gas exchange. Xanthid crabs are generally hardy - this is mostly an assumption based on the fact they readily live in intertidal zones and tidepools.

OP
OP
markbroda

markbroda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either or is fine. You need circulation of any kind inside the tank to help the live rock do its nitrifying job and to facilitate gas exchange. Xanthid crabs are generally hardy - this is mostly an assumption based on the fact they readily live in intertidal zones and tidepools.
Thanks. Still in the sump. :)

Back