Hitchhiker ID / confirm needed on my new snail?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I picked up this cerith snail from my LFS. Today I noticed odd swirl marks on his shell, one of which has something that can move in and out of the swirl. Looks like some type of filter feeder. Looking a the hitchhiker guide, I was thinking it's a Spirorbid Worm.

Should I pull the snail and try to scrape it off?

Snail.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of pulling the snail and removing from the shell. Thoughts?
I see more than one in your picture.
Scrape or superglue if you want to keep them out of your tank.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are very common hitchhikers, I would not worry whatsoever. I promise you that you've already got some in your tank, I don't know of a single tank without them lol It's really not worth the trouble to clean them off.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have more than one species and the ones with the long thin tubes have given me crazy puncture wounds. Others can bother corals and multiply like rodents.
As noted, you may already have them from other sources. I don’t like them but they are part of my Reef ecosystem. Your choice.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have more than one species and the ones with the long thin tubes have given me crazy puncture wounds. Others can bother corals and multiply like rodents.
As noted, you may already have them from other sources. I don’t like them but they are part of my Reef ecosystem. Your choice.

Since they seem to be a inconveinince, I pulled the snail out and scraped all of them off with a pocket knife.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they seem to be a inconveinince, I pulled the snail out and scraped all of them off with a pocket knife.
I have thousands in my system, in the DT, in the SUMP, everywhere. None can get rid of them, and they are completely harmless for your system. I only scrape them off of the front and side glasses.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back