OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I thought, thanks.

I saw a bunch at the bottom of the dip, I got a few other frags from the same store that are in my tank for the last hour....

Hmmm.... :oops:

Bradley2448

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’m sorry to hear that, it’s always frustrating thinking you have a reliable shop and then discovering serious pests on your new arrivals.

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I just went and checked with a torch and I see another one hanging off another of the frags.

Ahh crap. what do you reckon, should I ditch them all and be safe? Or reckon it's safe to keep the ones I can't see any on....

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelp I grabbed all four frags out for tonight and stuck them in a bucket with a powerhead and heater.

What's everyone's opinion about this?
Is it worth sticking them in a QT and seeing if I can get rid of the aiptasia then adding them to my DT? Seems kinda.risky for some so so coral frags right?

Is there a reliable way to get rid of it? I've read peppermint shrimp can be helpful?

Otherwise do you think it's reasonable for me to take these back to the LFS I bought them from tomorrow and ask for a refund?

I guess in future I will have to check out the tanks more, I got a bit excited buying my first LFS corals.

Thanks for the help

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp... works ALMOST 100% of the time
+1 But do beware, peppermints may develop a taste for corals. And also there is a chance you might get peppermints that would not eat aiptasia. Ask your lfs or if you know anyone with a peppermint that has proven to eat aiptasia, ask if you could borrow their shrimp.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can always inject the little buggers too! ;Dead The peppermints work for the ones that figure out when you’re coming with the syringe.

OP
OP
captain_jimmy

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks this is very helpful.

I am 100% sure it's aiptasia since after I posted I went and looked at the other frags and could clearly see another extended off the side of a plug.

My plan is to set up a 20g long I have empty and put the corals in there for the time being.
Then I will go back to LFS and see if he has a peppermint shrimp that will eat aiptasia and try to get a decent deal on it (since he sold me $200 worth of pest ridden frags).

Then I can leave the 20g setup as a frag qt tank and give each new coral or frag a couple weeks in there before going in the main DT.

Thanks again everyone

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back