Hitchhiker pistol shrimp [Murdering Rampage]

Reece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost a year ago I was at my local Maidenhead Aquatics and I was talking to one of the guys, I said I had wanted some thing unique and he Angeled my attention towards a pistol shrimp. Bland as day but his claw was massive. He had come in on a TMC import and made its way to the store so they were not sure what it was exactly other than a pistol shrimp. I had him for a year in a 30g and he was fine. Never came out was always building and he made lots of noise. Eventually he paired with my Goby and eventually I would see the shrimp in one of its tunnels with the Goby. I have since moved to a bigger 70g system and he and the Goby settled in just fine..... until he started murdering my CUC! He's built his lair in one of the rocks, has a big hole and it loves it. I used to drop bits of bio media in the old tank that it would take and use to cover it's tunnels and build. Would only work at night mainly. Anyway, is he doing this to build with their shells or is the size increase the reason for the sudden aggression. He's even responsible for killing a peppermint. Why is it killing his tank mates that it has happily resided with up until now. Will this stop or will he continue until there is nothing left. The fish are all safe, he just likes everything else. I have tried on several occasions to get pictures of him but each and everytime I approach the tank when he is out he shoots in. The best description is brown with a green glow and bright eyes. Mainly nocturnal. Is it possible this bigger isn't reef safe or is this behaviour normal, I have heard alsorts from my lfs's so I though this was the best place to come. Was I sold a pest or is he just laying down his territory?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back