Hitchhiker Sea Slug & Macro Algae ID

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been observing this rock from Gulf Live Rock for a couple weeks and I'm pretty surprised I didn't notice this guy was in there.

I could also use an ID on the feathery Macro Algae. I've noticed some leaves suddenly appear shredded...wondering if this is its food of choice. This specimen is approximately 1" long.

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 7.42.56 AM.png

IMG_0846.JPG

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is caleurpa idk the exact species though.
Thanks for the ID! I had seen some Caulerpa images online that were similar, but hadn't seen any that were branching with multiple leaves off of the same stalk. I did a more thorough search after your post - I think it might be Palm Caleurpa (Caulerpa Paspaloides)
That nudibranch probably eats stuff that came on the Lr. It could be a cool pet
I hope so - the question is if I can figure out what it eats and grow enough to keep it alive!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Prolifera caulerpa and a possible member of phillydia nudibranch

bickouder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top pic: clear anemone like coral is cup colony, red sponge of the left, macro algae is halimeda. Bottom pic: brain/favite Just keep your eyes and open. I got some stuff like that before and got a smashing mantis, and a worm that munched on Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin snails

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I'm a little late, but I have additional input as I ordered the same rock and got the same new friend! It's almost certainly a subspecies of Bursatella leachii, a sea hare, not a nudibranch. I actually didn't find mine until weeks after receiving the rock either, and looking at it every day practically with a magnifying glass, perhaps they came in as eggs and that's why we didn't see them sooner... I named mine Wayne

And yes, the macroalgae is Caulerpa paspaloides.

JoannaCora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally, in regards to what it eats, I’m sure it was raised on the paspaloides but I have c. prolifera in my tank which is Wayne’s preferred diet now, it grows much faster than paspaloides, probably enough to keep up with the sea hare if your start with enough.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back