HLLE Blue Hippo Tang

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I have a Blue Hippo Tang. He developed HLLE during a cupramine treatment a few months ago. After bringing him back to the main tank it seemed fine, but over the past month or so the HLLE has gotten progressively worse. I feed him a mix of seaweed pellets, and mysis shrimp. I also have a nori clip but my urchin generally is posted up on it. I also have a ground in the tank in case of stray voltage.

My thinking is that it must be the carbon in the filters on my filtration system. It's just a HOB filtration system that I change the filters out about every month. I have done a better job of changing those filters every month, and I am assuming that may be the cause of the sudden worsening. I thought I was cleaning them well, but maybe I should be cutting the carbon out? Any advice?

Thanks,

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I have a Blue Hippo Tang. He developed HLLE during a cupramine treatment a few months ago. After bringing him back to the main tank it seemed fine, but over the past month or so the HLLE has gotten progressively worse. I feed him a mix of seaweed pellets, and mysis shrimp. I also have a nori clip but my urchin generally is posted up on it. I also have a ground in the tank in case of stray voltage.

My thinking is that it must be the carbon in the filters on my filtration system. It's just a HOB filtration system that I change the filters out about every month. I have done a better job of changing those filters every month, and I am assuming that may be the cause of the sudden worsening. I thought I was cleaning them well, but maybe I should be cutting the carbon out? Any advice?

Thanks,
i have had a few tangs over the years get HLLE .. everything i have read points to carbon dust... i still use carbon, but make sure i rinse it very well... nothing powdery in the tank..

i have never seen anything reverse it, though there are plenty of things out there sold to.. i also have never had a fish die from it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back