HLLE can you see skin flake off?

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small Tomini tang, I did a observational qt on it but never actually treated for anything as it seemed fine. I have noticed since adding it to my display a couple of weeks ago its developed a pale/white underside and today I noticed was looked like a large white thing hanging off its skin under its chin.

At first I thought it could be flukes and the if it is how the hell do I treat the display tank. But now I am thinking it could actually be HLLE and it was just a fairly large bit of skin flaking off. I am thinking its maybe not getting enough algae in it diet as my tank is fairly clean and its to small to eat the algae pellets the big tang eats.
I have ordered Nori flakes and seaweed flakes for it.

I have uploaded a short video

What do you make of it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a small Tomini tang, I did a observational qt on it but never actually treated for anything as it seemed fine. I have noticed since adding it to my display a couple of weeks ago its developed a pale/white underside and today I noticed was looked like a large white thing hanging off its skin under its chin.

At first I thought it could be flukes and the if it is how the hell do I treat the display tank. But now I am thinking it could actually be HLLE and it was just a fairly large bit of skin flaking off. I am thinking its maybe not getting enough algae in it diet as my tank is fairly clean and its to small to eat the algae pellets the big tang eats.
I have ordered Nori flakes and seaweed flakes for it.

I have uploaded a short video

What do you make of it?

Flukes you generally cannot see and often if he has flukes, the other fish do also as they are ciliated parasites that seek a host fish for reproduction. As for HLLE, it would not be at the chin but rather face and lateral line area. This appears to be injury or damage from netting, or even rock structure as they spook easily as you may have noticed. The white matter you see is possibly a bacterial infection from previous injury and will need to be treated.
If QT is sterile and still running, you can give fish a 60 minute bath in ruby Rally Pro and treat in Quarantine tank with Seachem Kanaplex and focus on ammonia levels in QT with a reliable test kit.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes you generally cannot see and often if he has flukes, the other fish do also as they are ciliated parasites that seek a host fish for reproduction. As for HLLE, it would not be at the chin but rather face and lateral line area. This appears to be injury or damage from netting, or even rock structure as they spook easily as you may have noticed. The white matter you see is possibly a bacterial infection from previous injury and will need to be treated.
If QT is sterile and still running, you can give fish a 60 minute bath in ruby Rally Pro and treat in Quarantine tank with Seachem Kanaplex and focus on ammonia levels in QT with a reliable test kit.
QT tank is shutdown since electricity prices are at an insane level here right now. Also we have no access to any form of anti-biotic fish treatments here in the uk. At least not legally. Not sure what to do or even if ill be able to catch it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
QT tank is shutdown since electricity prices are at an insane level here right now. Also we have no access to any form of anti-biotic fish treatments here in the uk. At least not legally. Not sure what to do or even if ill be able to catch it.
UK treatments are :
Waterlife Myxazin - similar to Kanaplex
OR
NT Labs Acrillavine

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me there is clear aggression (split tail) - additionally, maybe it's just the lighting - but I see spots on the tail? Don't see anything looking like HLLE

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me there is clear aggression (split tail) - additionally, maybe it's just the lighting - but I see spots on the tail? Don't see anything looking like HLLE
There is no ich in the tank, must have been attacked at night, there is a fair bit of fighting for hiding places when the light go out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is no ich in the tank, must have been attacked at night, there is a fair bit of fighting for hiding places when the light go out.
What are the spots (small/white) on the tail - was it just a function of the video? How would you know there is no Ich in the tank? The reason I ask - is you just added a fish that wasn't quarantined?

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the spots (small/white) on the tail - was it just a function of the video? How would you know there is no Ich in the tank? The reason I ask - is you just added a fish that wasn't quarantined?
Must have just been the video, I don't see any spots on its tail. I qt'd all the original fish and have never saw any signs of ich in the tank ever.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Must have just been the video, I don't see any spots on its tail. I qt'd all the original fish and have never saw any signs of ich in the tank ever.
The problem though, is that you didn't QT this one - and fish can 'carry' ich (i.e. it's not visible) - until there is a stress issue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know it's possible but I'm not seeing anything resembling ich.
I'm opinionated too:):). There are at least 2 injuries on the fish - the face and the tail. To me the tail fin looks cloudy and injured throughout. Again - Not trying to debate - just saying what I see.

OP
OP
The Opinionated Reefer

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm opinionated too:):). There are at least 2 injuries on the fish - the face and the tail. To me the tail fin looks cloudy and injured throughout. Again - Not trying to debate - just saying what I see.
Yeah, I agree it has been attacked, just wondering what did it because that is a severe pasting! I don't think it was the yellow tang since it never seems to even look at it. It's swimming around pecking at rocks and acting normal so ill just monitor it for. Not sure how I will catch it anyway. It usually takes days with a trap to get any fish out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I agree it has been attacked, just wondering what did it because that is a severe pasting! I don't think it was the yellow tang since it never seems to even look at it. It's swimming around pecking at rocks and acting normal so ill just monitor it for. Not sure how I will catch it anyway. It usually takes days with a trap to get any fish out.
As @vetteguy53081 will mention - it often takes standing back - and watching - (so the fish can't see you) - or installing a camera. When the owner is present - often they just want to eat

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As @vetteguy53081 will mention - it often takes standing back - and watching - (so the fish can't see you) - or installing a camera. When the owner is present - often they just want to eat
to reiterate as MnFish mentioned. . .. .
set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, there is no sign of HLLE on this tang. The split tail and the knocked chin point to tankmate aggression - you’ll literally may never actually see that happen - a tang can hit another in a split second and there are like 86,000 seconds in a day (grin).
One thing you can do is treat the tank with Prazipro in cases done flukes are infecting them. If you see fish scratching/flashing, you’ll definitely want to go that route.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back