OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently battling it with my black/scopas tang, where it just kind of popped up out of nowhere. It was mostly around his eye area, above and below towards his mouth.

The last week I've been soaking every food I give them in either garlic elixir, Omega 3 fish oil, or Selcon. Looking at it tonight and noticed that the part above his eye is turning black again and seems to be healing.

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad outbreak on my 1st chevron and decided that it was best for me to find him a new home (thinking it was my system). Anyway, a local says he has completly recovered (never found out why, but this was the only tang that I had show any signs at the time outta 3). As of now (with new system and better food) I haven't had any issues. My love for chevrons talked me into another that I picked up local and it has HLLE right above the right eye since I picked him up. I too have been soaking his food in garlic extreme and omega 3 fish oil. No noticable signs of recovery, but no signs of HLLE progression. He is by himself and eats like a pig! If I'm cleaning the glass (after feeding him multiple times), he still trys to eat coraline that falls from the glass. Good luck with your hybrid. My black has been devolping the sometimes seen grey fade on his back.

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon always has worked for me. When I first got my Lavender he got it pretty bad. After soaking all the food in selcon for 3 weeks he was completely recovered. My Black/Scopas and my tomai have never presented symptoms.

Reefkeeper14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge outbreak on my blue tang his whole body was coverered.. So i bought an ro/di system and was very meticulous about how much i was feedong him and giingnhim a variety of foods no his whole body is clear although it didtake quite awhile like 5-6 monthes for the hlle to be gone

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Sounds like food intake (vitamin soaked/variety) has been key in resolving HLLE.

jbanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is quite tricky how you are going to pull treatment off especially if you are just starting out on the hobby or inclination of fishes and aquariums. it would be quite challenging to actually discover what would be the perfect balance to see just through.

Though you have to learn it on your own as it would be a process that you are to repeat a number of times with it.

Giancarlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any experience with HLLE, but there was an article from advanced aquarist that mentioned a direct link with activated carbon. It's worth a read.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any experience with HLLE, but there was an article from advanced aquarist that mentioned a direct link with activated carbon. It's worth a read.

Yup, seen and read that many times, however, I think many people just turned and assumed it was carbon that was causing their issues, when it could be a problem with their fish not getting the proper nutrition.

Not trying to discount the article at all, but it seems a lot of people used it as a fallback.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big believer of the stray voltage theory. I think that all the theories are probably true to a certain extent which is why nobody can ever pinpoint a definite cause.

OP
OP
btkrausen

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point guys. I completely forgot about the stray voltage 'theory'. Personally, I always run a grounding probe in my sump. It doesn't fix the problem of a pump leaking voltage, but it gives it somewhere to go.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 115 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back