HLLE getting worse! Help

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing and realized a few weeks ago that my YT has what I believe to be HLLE. The pictures were taken on the 27th and I can see it appears to be getting worse since then. I’ve checked for stray voltage and I don’t have any. I have 0 nitrates. I pulled all carbon 2 weeks ago. Feeding flakes, pellets, mysis, 3 different colors nori, etc. Soaking food in alternating selcon, zoecon, and garlic. Any suggestions? Should I expect it to get worse before it gets better? Thank you.

AA8BE837-DA78-493D-9927-3520B5299944.jpeg 62487655-20AB-41DE-B588-210702A02B99.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very discouraging HLLE experience with a Kole Tang. Tried all the suggested practical remedies, like you. Unfortunately, I think you might find (as I did) when it gets that bad you can dance on your head and it won’t change things.

OP
OP
S

smd189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very discouraging HLLE experience with a Kole Tang. Tried all the suggested practical remedies, like you. Unfortunately, I think you might find (as I did) when it gets that bad you can dance on your head and it won’t change things.
So what happened? Thanks.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1614909946351.png

I ended up giving him to a buddy who's tank had a terrible algae problem. In short, he got my hand-me-down fish. ;Wideyed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing and realized a few weeks ago that my YT has what I believe to be HLLE. The pictures were taken on the 27th and I can see it appears to be getting worse since then. I’ve checked for stray voltage and I don’t have any. I have 0 nitrates. I pulled all carbon 2 weeks ago. Feeding flakes, pellets, mysis, 3 different colors nori, etc. Soaking food in alternating selcon, zoecon, and garlic. Any suggestions? Should I expect it to get worse before it gets better? Thank you.

AA8BE837-DA78-493D-9927-3520B5299944.jpeg 62487655-20AB-41DE-B588-210702A02B99.jpeg
Removing the carbon isn’t sufficient to stop this in most cases. There is enough carbon dust in the substrate to keep the issue going. I’ve had the best success stopping this by moving the fish to a tank that has never had carbon on it. You could try siphon cleaning the substrate with each water change. In most cases, you can only stop the progression and not heal the existing lesions.
Jay

ReefKeeperElite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the carbon isn’t sufficient to stop this in most cases. There is enough carbon dust in the substrate to keep the issue going. I’ve had the best success stopping this by moving the fish to a tank that has never had carbon on it. You could try siphon cleaning the substrate with each water change. In most cases, you can only stop the progression and not heal the existing lesions.
Jay
Hi Jay. Do you think Nopox carbon dosing could also lead to HLLE or is it more of the fines from carbon tumbling? I have high nutrients and believe my emperors HLLE issue may be a result. I don't run carbon in any form right now. I use the Red Sea nitrate test kit, which shows a darker pink that the provided chart has a match for, and the Hanna Phosphorus ULR test kit, which blinks 200 due to being maxed out. Thinking about starting a Nopox regimen, but don't want that to cause other HLLE issues with my tangs. I also have a lot of chaeto which I'm not certain would be affected by Nopox.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay. Do you think Nopox carbon dosing could also lead to HLLE or is it more of the fines from carbon tumbling? I have high nutrients and believe my emperors HLLE issue may be a result. I don't run carbon in any form right now. I use the Red Sea nitrate test kit, which shows a darker pink that the provided chart has a match for, and the Hanna Phosphorus ULR test kit, which blinks 200 due to being maxed out. Thinking about starting a Nopox regimen, but don't want that to cause other HLLE issues with my tangs. I also have a lot of chaeto which I'm not certain would be affected by Nopox.
I can’t say for sure if there is correlation, as I’ve never tested it, but I doubt it: I think it contains acetic acid and an alcohol, neither should cause HLLE.
Past carbon use can lead to future HLLE, unless the tank is stripped washed and rinsed. Then, sometimes, there simply is no carbon link at all.
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back