HLLE on yellow tang. Just noticed

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for to have a yellow tang for a long time. Finally, 2 days ago I got one! However, today I realised the fish actually has HLLE. I got it from a reefer. Never saw this sickness before until see this one. I checked the fish closely and saw colour differance. As I read many threads so far, my toughts the first owner did not feed well or usage of carbon. In my tank I dont run carbon and non of my fish doesnt have HLLE. So please see pictures below. How bad is the situation in this case? I wonder everyones opinion. I can give the fish back but I dont think first owner will care of it. So, I dont wanna give up and fight till the end.
EEABE93D-3812-4039-8BBA-E210FACCEC31.jpeg
71DCD83C-72BA-45DE-9F02-D106B4677600.jpeg
B7C44DA5-13F6-4C2A-8756-03200EFC19C4.jpeg
B050A731-A0F7-4BAC-B811-3DB5715B77EE.jpeg
6B92DD86-1534-4DD9-BE72-9848ABA4EAE1.jpeg
F91B660D-A730-4ACE-858D-14A22EB2C4B1.jpeg
56CA99A4-52A1-4615-B4B6-F61A011A2EF4.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon. Plus Nori-both red and green. I also feed spinach and romaine lettuce to my tangs. They love it.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Emporor Angel had it and i started feeding him (and the two tangs) nori 3x a day. It stopped pretty quickly and has since healed. HLLE is usually caused by vitamin deficiency, tangs and angels are herbivores first and need their veggies

Attachments

• IMG_1110.png
    IMG_1110.png
    675 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Emporor Angel had it and i started feeding him (and the two tangs) nori 3x a day. It stopped pretty quickly and has since healed. HLLE is usually caused by vitamin deficiency, tangs and angels are herbivores first and need their veggies
How long did it take to recover? He looks happy vitamin deficiency definetelly plays big role. I will feed him well.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunatelly not possible in locally. Is it Something similar AF fish vitamin V? I will feed him well for sure. Poor guy :(

That should be similar. Selcon is another. I had a tang start hlle when I switched to rox carbon and I think some of it grinded apart in the reactor and led to this. Rox carbon is also much more brittle than red sea carbon so it ends up producing a lot of dust if it rubs together. I took out the carbon, and eventually put back red sea carbon in. In the mean time i added those two things to soak in the flak food I feed. The tang healed up and only had a tiny remnant of the hlle. I can't say what worked for sure, but I like to share this.

As for food I feed, I use Hikari seaweed small wafers, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes (main diet), diy food, ocean nutrition red seaweed (the tank favorite), and occasionally something else. At the time I also fed PE flakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be similar. Selcon is another. I had a tang start hlle when I switched to rox carbon and I think some of it grinded apart in the reactor and led to this. Rox carbon is also much more brittle than red sea carbon so it ends up producing a lot of dust if it rubs together. I took out the carbon, and eventually put back red sea carbon in. In the mean time i added those two things to soak in the flak food I feed. The tang healed up and only had a tiny remnant of the hlle. I can't say what worked for sure, but I like to share this.

As for food I feed, I use Hikari seaweed small wafers, ocean nutrition prime reef flakes (main diet), diy food, ocean nutrition red seaweed (the tank favorite), and occasionally something else. At the time I also fed PE flakes.
I will give an update incase will see any recovery in time

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
I have been looking for to have a yellow tang for a long time. Finally, 2 days ago I got one! However, today I realised the fish actually has HLLE. I got it from a reefer. Never saw this sickness before until see this one. I checked the fish closely and saw colour differance. As I read many threads so far, my toughts the first owner did not feed well or usage of carbon. In my tank I dont run carbon and non of my fish doesnt have HLLE. So please see pictures below. How bad is the situation in this case? I wonder everyones opinion. I can give the fish back but I dont think first owner will care of it. So, I dont wanna give up and fight till the end.
EEABE93D-3812-4039-8BBA-E210FACCEC31.jpeg
71DCD83C-72BA-45DE-9F02-D106B4677600.jpeg
B7C44DA5-13F6-4C2A-8756-03200EFC19C4.jpeg
B050A731-A0F7-4BAC-B811-3DB5715B77EE.jpeg
6B92DD86-1534-4DD9-BE72-9848ABA4EAE1.jpeg
F91B660D-A730-4ACE-858D-14A22EB2C4B1.jpeg
56CA99A4-52A1-4615-B4B6-F61A011A2EF4.jpeg
I wonder if this is one of the Biota tangs? A number of those have developed “epithelial thinning” which may not be closely related to HLLE. When first saw this, I wondered if the fish would outgrow it, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Nobody knows the cause of this - it may be dietary or it could be developmental. I don’t think it is related to carbon HLLE, that looks different in yellow tangs.
Jay

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if this is one of the Biota tangs? A number of those have developed “epithelial thinning” which may not be closely related to HLLE. When first saw this, I wondered if the fish would outgrow it, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Nobody knows the cause of this - it may be dietary or it could be developmental. I don’t think it is related to carbon HLLE, that looks different in yellow tangs.
Jay
Hi Jay, nice to see you in the post. Its not a biota tangs. But I saw the tank that I got it from, it was awfull. Feeding one food only aswell. What’s your idea about healing? Is it possible on your knowledge?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A high percentage of the time, this is due to vitamin deficiency, poor water conditions, high use of carbon and lack of proper diet.
Feed at least:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you give spinach? And did u have HLLe?
Just put raw spinach leaves in a clip. They devour them. No, didn't have HLLE but the key to recovering from HLLE, as much as possible, is a really good, varied diet and this is part of that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, nice to see you in the post. Its not a biota tangs. But I saw the tank that I got it from, it was awfull. Feeding one food only aswell. What’s your idea about healing? Is it possible on your knowledge?
Most cases of healing in these issues have involved moving the fish to a new tank, and you've done that. I think in the survey I did about 80% of the "cures" involved the fish moving to a new tank. Moving the fish doesn't always cure them, but leaving them in the same tank rarely does. The scarring in this fish isn't too deep, so under good conditions, I think it will improve (you may always see some lightness there though).

Jay

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive learned alot from everyone on hear, especially with tangs. I have a yellow, one of last shipments last year from hawaii to ontario anyway.
i do selcons recipe right off the website. salmon clam,scallops and shrimp frozen than blendid up, soaked in selcon and frozen, my tang and fish love this food (who wouldnt) also he gets nori, spirulina brine, pellets. he looks amazing, carbon wise in one chamber i have chemi pure elite, and the other chemi pure blue

OP
OP
Trueruby

Trueruby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most cases of healing in these issues have involved moving the fish to a new tank, and you've done that. I think in the survey I did about 80% of the "cures" involved the fish moving to a new tank. Moving the fish doesn't always cure them, but leaving them in the same tank rarely does. The scarring in this fish isn't too deep, so under good conditions, I think it will improve (you may always see some lightness there though).

Jay
%80 is better than none imo. I already increased the diet including nori, spirulina, brine with AF fish V, vitalis algae flakes, vitalis marine flakes. Also added broccoli. Heard some people healed the fishes when they used broccoli as they're rich about vitamin A. Do you remember any time about healing on the surveys you have already checked?

Best R.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
%80 is better than none imo. I already increased the diet including nori, spirulina, brine with AF fish V, vitalis algae flakes, vitalis marine flakes. Also added broccoli. Heard some people healed the fishes when they used broccoli as they're rich about vitamin A. Do you remember any time about healing on the surveys you have already checked?

Best R.
Sorry, no - I didn't ask about healing times, only if it was noted or not. The time frame can be rather long though - months in any event. I found that stopping the process from getting worse was also a good outcome.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back