HOB filter for Fish only system?

Nano Saltyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So being new here I wanted to check with you guys if what I am thinking about my fish only system could work?

So I plan to make a 20 gallon F/O system as my first saltwater tank. I already have about 3 empty tanks (all 20 gallon) but being in the freshwater hobby for so long I never really used sump systems and mostly relied on HOBs (Seachem Tidals) and Canister Filters (Fluvals and Eheim Classic)

My question is:
Is it possible to run a 20 gallon saltwater F/O system using the Tidal 75 (flow rate -350 gph) HOB filter containing 300 ml Seachem Matrix for Biological filtration and sponges for mechanical filtration. I don't plan to use a skimmer on this system as I've read that they are not absolutely necessary. I also plan to add sand and dry rock in my tank. To compensate for the absence of the skimmer and a Refugium I plan on doing 20% water changes every week and also use Seachem Purigen if necessary. My thought behind this is that, I have heard that one can run HOB equipment on a marine tank upto 75 gal and I want to keep the bioload as low as possible (2-3 Clownfishes 1-2 Fire Gobies (My Favourite Fish) and an algae eating blenny).

I just want to know you if you guys think this system could work?
and what do you think would be the possible challenges that one would face with this type of setup?

Thanks Already....!!

PS : I am not against sump systems, I know that they have a great number of benifits. But I have these HOB filters lying around anyways, so I want to give them a try before I go on spending money on sump.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% they can work I’ve been in the saltwater hobby for 4 years and I’ve always used HOB with little to zero issues...I have a 12 gallon nano with corals and 2 clownfish and all I run is a HOB aqua clear so I think you should be more than okay with your setup.

OP
OP
N

Nano Saltyy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% they can work I’ve been in the saltwater hobby for 4 years and I’ve always used HOB with little to zero issues...I have a 12 gallon nano with corals and 2 clownfish and all I run is a HOB aqua clear so I think you should be more than okay with your setup.
May I please know what kind of media are you using in your HOBs (Eg. purigen, chemipure elite, etc) ?

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I please know what kind of media are you using in your HOBs (Eg. purigen, chemipure elite, etc) ?
I’ve started with just carbon and filter pads but now I use chemipure blue, and from time to time poly filter pad. But mainly my media is 2-3 sponges and chemipure blue with 50% water changes but my tank is 12 gals so it’s easy to removes half of that , since you’re going to do a fish only I think chemipure blue will be good since you’ll probably be feeding a bit more with all the fish it polishes up the water real nice

Back