HOB filter on 50g

*LouiseC*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a 4ft 50g tank (AquaOne Horizon 182)
I want to convert it to a saltwater tank. Main reason is its the feature in our loungeroom. Its sits on a low tv cabinet with drawers so no room for a sump etc so was hoping this might work with some minor modifications.

Im wanting to do a FOWLR tank with only a few fish
1 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1 x Firefish
1 x Watchman Goby

Id also like a skunk cleaner shrimp and a basic CUC.

Ive only got the HOB it came with which isn't very good so can upgrade that.

Is this possible with frequent water changes etc

Im new to saltwater so about to start watching 52 weeks of reefing on youtube but would love an advice on this please ☺ im a long way off even starting it but trying to get as much info as possible

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 29 gallon sps reef with only hob equipment for 4 years, so it is entirely possible to not have a sump. I used and Aquaclear 70 and an AquaC Remora hob skimmer. Weekly water changes of 10% and auto dosing.

8AB1DB9B-04EE-4FA1-86AD-C6F6E8AE8242.jpeg
80499CC2-DC5E-4E85-98AD-91B8DAED0BF4.jpeg

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 55g has two hob rated for 70g each. I also use algae, live rock, and live sand though.

OP
OP
L

*LouiseC*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AdamNC your tank is gorgeous!!!!
Great to hear it can be done. Will look into a hob skimmer too. Will also upgrade my filter as its not enough for this tank with the longer length. I ended up running a second sponge filter mainly for surface agitation up the other end. Will have live samd and live rock. No corals etc at this stage but maybe down the track? Maybe...

Thank you both ☺

OP
OP
L

*LouiseC*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can keep my normal light for a FOWLR tank ill only have to upgrade it if I want to keep coral?

Also will my heater work in saltwater safely?

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I can keep my normal light for a FOWLR tank ill only have to upgrade it if I want to keep coral?

Also will my heater work in saltwater safely?
You also have to upgrade if you want to keep seagrass and some of the algae varieties.

OP
OP
L

*LouiseC*

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not interested in seagrass etc so hopefully this light will do for now. But if everything is going well in a few months/year from now I might change my mind. Ive always loved anenomes. So I can upgrade at some stage ☺

Been looking at skimmers online. Theres a few im interested in

Tunze Nano Comline DOC Skimmer 9004 is one of them

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran a number of successful tanks, fowlr and reef with hob equipment. The best hob filter hands down is the Seachem Tidal, the reason is because of the flow pattern. All other hob filters to be as effective needs to have the flow pattern customized inside the basket. You can use the 55 rated for your size tank, or I always try to bump up to the next size. I've used the eshopps hob skimmer for years on many tank designs and this pup is a work horse, there's on rated for a 75g that would be good for your tank. The other very important piece of equipment I add is an algae reactor, running these 3 pieces of equipment you can do anything that any other AIO or sump designed tank can do,
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6Z59E...t=&hvlocphy=1026339&hvtargid=pla-362740470927
https://www.amazon.com/Eshopps-Hang-Protein-Skimmer-PSK-75H/dp/B006OOQKHS
https://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_Algae_Reactor_Package_-AquaMaxx-UJ5355-FIFRAS-vi.html

jt808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your still looking for an upgraded filter I really like aquaclear filters. You can get the largest one for about 80 dollars brand new on amazon. I have 2 tanks currently running off of those filters and love them. They are great because they hold a large amount of media and its easy to clean because of how large the back is. I upgraded mine by using a thinner sponge filter for extra space and swapping the media that comes with it for bio pure balls and threw in a small bag of chemipure elite. There are also some really nice 3rd party upgrades you can buy for them if you really want to get fancy.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your still looking for an upgraded filter I really like aquaclear filters. You can get the largest one for about 80 dollars brand new on amazon. I have 2 tanks currently running off of those filters and love them. They are great because they hold a large amount of media and its easy to clean because of how large the back is. I upgraded mine by using a thinner sponge filter for extra space and swapping the media that comes with it for bio pure balls and threw in a small bag of chemipure elite. There are also some really nice 3rd party upgrades you can buy for them if you really want to get fancy.

You can actually get them less from Petsmart if you do site to store as they often have them for the same base price but offer a 15% discount for site to store.

@the OP, it can be done provided you use something like a Chemipure Elite bag in the HOB filter to help you keep your phosphates down and a solid HOB skimmer (ie Reef Octopus Classic 100 and Eshoppes PSK-75H or PSK-100H. I went completely HOB on my 36 gallon with the Fluval (aka Aquaclear) 50 and the Eshoppes PSK-75H skimmer:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back