hob skimmer airline run to out side.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a eshopps hob psk-100h. don't want to waste the money. has any one ever had success with doing this with a HOB skimmer at all. my swings are manageable with a co2 scrubber but i'm changing the media every four days to keep it between 7.7 -7.9, haven't had it hit 8.0 for ph yet even with the co2 scrubber. and when I notice a drop it's will never it 8.0 for ph. what types of problems will I have with running a airline to the outside from my HOB skimmer. I hear everyone having success with this but no one that is using a HOB skimmer and running the airline outside from a HOB skimmer,

The psk=100H had a 1/4 inch diameter airline. it will run to the outside 25 feet.
now with out the co2 scrubber I see slight increases through out the day. for example waking up it will be 7.7 but through out the day it might hit 7.78 and then the next night it will drop down to 7.65 and during the day time from a low of 7.65 will raise to 7.74 and just keeps going down.

at this point I'm looking for stability. and not dropping continousely.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a outside line on my hob before I moved to a sump system. Still run a airline to the skimmer in the sump.

I only went to the sump because I’m running multiple tanks off of it. Had no issues with the previous setup as a stand alone.

Some words for though
- add some sort of air filter with a little carbon if possible. Can help scrub some air born contaminates plus keep spiders out.
- try and choose a location away for car exhaust and or cigarette smoke.

Mine was stuck around 7.8 before I added. Now I peak around 8.3 in the day time and 8.1 at night. Really helped out.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a outside line on my hob before I moved to a sump system. Still run a airline to the skimmer in the sump.

I only went to the sump because I’m running multiple tanks off of it. Had no issues with the previous setup as a stand alone.

Some words for though
- add some sort of air filter with a little carbon if possible. Can help scrub some air born contaminates plus keep spiders out.
- try and choose a location away for car exhaust and or cigarette smoke.

Mine was stuck around 7.8 before I added. Now I peak around 8.3 in the day time and 8.1 at night. Really helped out.
did you have any problems dialing it in on the skimmer?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not at all. I ran a 3/8 line and stuck the skimmer line into it.
the reason I asked is because right now I am using a co2 scrubber although it does the job. getting it dialed in and staying in that position has been a pain. i'm thinking 2 pvc pipes and do a dry run and not glue anything and just stick it out a window for a few hours and see what results I get before I go complete install.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a half inch diameter at the smallest.
Yeah at 25 feet the less resistance the better.

I had run one about 10 feet for I think an H&S a150. Worked well with more stable pH. I did not run carbon and I live in the city and I noticed no negative effects. Ideally carbon though.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah at 25 feet the less resistance the better.

I had run one about 10 feet for I think an H&S a150. Worked well with more stable pH. I did not run carbon and I live in the city and I noticed no negative effects. Ideally carbon though.
The first run I'm going to do will be 25 feet. That will hang out the window by the drive way. Won't run carbon on the test. But if it works and I see results then I'll run it to a different way outside. But for the test that way will be the easiest to do.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an airline outside, noticed often the skimmer would go nuts and overflow. Reasons? Maybe someone here can chime in, but I got tired of it and got myself a kalk reactor. With the line outside my ph would change very little, noth as much as I expected. I also run a Co2 scrubber to my skimmer line. My ph here in Ny during the cold months(windows constantly closed) used to be between 7.5-7.8.
With the kalk reactor and co2 scrubber it rovers between 8.0-8.2

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph was constantly low as well about 7.6ish I ordered a food grade hose from brs and ran the hose down to my basement where I I stalled the silencer. Then another hose out though the foundation outside. Total of about 10ft. My ph is 8.3-8.4 never changes

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran an airline outside, noticed often the skimmer would go nuts and overflow. Reasons? Maybe someone here can chime in, but I got tired of it and got myself a kalk reactor. With the line outside my ph would change very little, noth as much as I expected. I also run a Co2 scrubber to my skimmer line. My ph here in Ny during the cold months(windows constantly closed) used to be between 7.5-7.8.
With the kalk reactor and co2 scrubber it rovers between 8.0-8.2
I'm running a co2 scrubber right now. Just a pain to get it adjusted to skim. I decreased my surface agitation today and has gone from 7.76 to 7.96 for a high today. I did have major surface agitation but ph wouldn't go above 7.75. So I'm at the point if I can't get the hob skimmer adjusted correctly then I'll do the line outside.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back