Hob Skimmer Plumbing questions

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquamax hob 1.5 skimmer that I will be using on my tank. The plumbing is very congested in the second chamber of the aio section. This is how my skimmer looks in its stock configuration
17462DB6-8AE0-4BD6-ACF1-DECEF2C2FE1A.jpeg

Why does the output have an opening? Is this to allow the water to drain freely? I understand the 90 on the end is to help with micro bubbles and it really doesn’t fit very well I can lower it by adding tubing but here is my fix...do u think this will work the same? It would move the output to the return chamber where I have much more room.
B287AD80-8011-4D72-838F-552806D66BE3.jpeg

If I got this route I would like to paint the fitting. Is this doable and what kinda paint can I use on the pvc? it may come into contact with water that is why I ask. Thanks everyone.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aquamax hob 1.5 skimmer that I will be using on my tank. The plumbing is very congested in the second chamber of the aio section. This is how my skimmer looks in its stock configuration
17462DB6-8AE0-4BD6-ACF1-DECEF2C2FE1A.jpeg

Why does the output have an opening? Is this to allow the water to drain freely? I understand the 90 on the end is to help with micro bubbles and it really doesn’t fit very well I can lower it by adding tubing but here is my fix...do u think this will work the same? It would move the output to the return chamber where I have much more room.
B287AD80-8011-4D72-838F-552806D66BE3.jpeg

If I got this route I would like to paint the fitting. Is this doable and what kinda paint can I use on the pvc? it may come into contact with water that is why I ask. Thanks everyone.
It’s hard to say. Just try it out and hopefully you can adjust it to work. You should be able to try it before you make it permanent

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea for sure that’s the plan just curious if I can mess with the way it’s plumbed without any effect in performance. Really wonder why its open at the top haha

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main thinking with this is that my input and output would be so close together. I’m thinking that I could be sucking up water that has already been processed, ultimately effecting efficiency.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main thinking with this is that my input and output would be so close together. I’m thinking that I could be sucking up water that has already been processed, ultimately effecting efficiency.
Why not put the input in compartment #1 ?

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There will be a media caddy in there
I would put the heater and skimmer input in 1, and the media caddy and skimmer output in 2. You may have to mod the media caddy a little, but maybe better than mod'ing the skimmer. Or, how about sending the skimmer output right into 3. The return pump won't mind, but you may get more micro-bubbles.

OP
OP
Curtis Rose

Curtis Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the heater and skimmer input in 1, and the media caddy and skimmer output in 2. You may have to mod the media caddy a little, but maybe better than mod'ing the skimmer. Or, how about sending the skimmer output right into 3. The return pump won't mind, but you may get more micro-bubbles.
The plan is to send the output into chamber 3 I can’t mod the media caddy to fit into chamber 2 I’d have to cut it apart and make it smaller. And it would no longer be able to use filter floss. I think running filter floss in an aio is almost mandatory dirty rear chambers can create all kinds of problems.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it fits as designed but only cramped, what's the issue? It's an AIO, cramped is what they do.

Having the output close to input really shouldn't have a huge impact, and if anything you'd get a better efficiency. Skimmers (while they do a good job) aren't more than 30% efficient at removing DOC. I'm sure my skimmer sitting in my sump is 're-skimming' water, and I'm fine with that. Many skimmers are set up in sumps with lower turnover rates than skimmer I/O rates.

I tend to default to "as designed" by manufacturer whenever possible. Especially with a well-known company that has engineers checking how to optimize. True there are hacks to make things work better occassionally, but that's not the norm usually.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back