HOB Skimmers for a 40B

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have this on my 90 and it works great
This is what I went with on my IM 50 Lagoon. Very happy with it. Shopped around and got it for $225.00 shipped

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9004, it will skim the ”scum” off the surface.
you also won’t have to worry about where the water is going to go when the skimmer goes crazy and overflows the collection cup

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant over skim... your protein skimmer works and functions off of the nutrient levels in your tank. The foam head or froth will build up and get "heavier" and heavier and fall on itself until the "lighter" foam pushes it up and over the neck and out into the cup. It even takes time sometimes for them to build up and work...
Idk why i have to explain that. Lol.
Get the bigger protein skimmer your wanting of has the functions ur looking for. You will just be adding more water volume and air to the tank.
D

OP
OP
E

ExoS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re still looking OP, I absolutely love my Eshopps PSK-100H. It actually looks pretty similar to that reef octopus, but it’s a bit cheaper.

Also, to avoid having skimmate spill all over the floor/electrical equipment, I highly suggest a Smart Skimmer Security Sensor.
Does the Eshopps or the Reef Octopus have a skimmate overflow tube that you can direct back to the tank? I know the Aquamaxx has that but I wasn't sure about other skimmers.

Taiyaki.Visuals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while the AquaMaxx is certainly cute an they have made a huge improvement to the body of the skimmer it's still 2nd best to Reef Octopus 1000 not even using mine anymore but it worked great for 6 years never even used the spare pump. Meanwhile AquaMaxx users have their body's wear out cheap pumps that are discontinued to boot.
I thought them Sicee pumps on the aquamaxx's were good?

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9004, it will skim the ”scum” off the surface.
you also won’t have to worry about where the water is going to go when the skimmer goes crazy and overflows the collection cup

^^^
THIS.

I ran a sumpless, skimmerless 40B for ~ 7years. Used the Aquamaxx HOB-1 for the first year or so, then took it off line. It worked sporadically, overflew a few times, and too much hassle to clean. I didn't use the tunze. But if I had to start over again, the 9004 would be my choice because it acts as an internal overflow, skims the water surface and no wet floor.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Eshopps or the Reef Octopus have a skimmate overflow tube that you can direct back to the tank? I know the Aquamaxx has that but I wasn't sure about other skimmers.
I know the EShopps does. In fact, since I'm a fancy boy, I hooked mine up to a CO2 scrubber to make it recirculating, and just use the Auto Aqua Smart Skimmer Security sensor to make sure it doesn't overflow.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back