HOB/submersible UV sterilizer that kills marine ich?

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the site.

Im 25 and I've kept fish since I was a small child. My main font of experience is with freshwater tanks, but I recently have been getting into saltwater tanks (which I was surprised to find out are almost identical in terms of care, with several notable exceptions).

I have a 20 gallon high and a 36 gallon bowfront tank.

I'm looking for a UV sterilizer that I can hang on the back or side of my tank, or submerge and stick to the glass, that is powerful enough to kill marine ich, and not break the bank.

I had an ich outbreak in my 20 and had been treating with Paraguard. I've transferred my fish and inverts into the 36 and they're doing fine, but my tailspot blenny has a few white spots still.

While I'm not 100% opposed to it, I really do not want to have to treat the tanks with copper unless I absolutely have to.

Hence the need for the UV sterilizer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on brands and products?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV will not stop marine ich.

You need to have the fish in copper (copperpower/safe or cupramine which doesn't stick to rocks or sand) for 45 days minemum at a temperature of 81 degrees. Maybe paraguard will work but not sure if it will work.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to the site.

Im 25 and I've kept fish since I was a small child. My main font of experience is with freshwater tanks, but I recently have been getting into saltwater tanks (which I was surprised to find out are almost identical in terms of care, with severa notable exceptions).

I have a 20 gallon high and a 36 gallon bowfront tank.

I'm looking for a UV sterilizer that I can hang on the back or side of my tank, or submerge and stick to the glass, that is powerful enough to kill marine ich, and not break the bank.

I had an ich outbreak in my 20 and had been treating with Paraguard. I've transferred my fish and inverts into the 36 and they're doing fine, but my tailspot blenny has a few white spots still.

While I'm not 100% opposed to it, I really do not want to have to treat the tanks with copper unless I absolutely have to.

Hence the need for the UV sterilizer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on brands and products?
UV Sterilizers are good at killing algae for clear water. It will not stop an ongoing parasitic episode.

OP
OP
F

Fresh2Salt95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV will not stop marine ich.

You need to have the fish in copper (copperpower/safe or cupramine which doesn't stick to rocks or sand) for 45 days minemum at a temperature of 81 degrees. Maybe paraguard will work but not sure if it will work.
Right, I guess I should have been more specific:

So I'm not expecting the UV to fix the problem entirely, I was referring to the free floating stage of the parasite.

I've been reading up a lot and watching a lot of videos, and from what I've gathered there's three levels of UV sterilization.

The first just helps with algae and bacterial blooms, but the second type degrades the DNA of the parasite while it is free floating and prevents it from reproducing.

I was looking at this:

But it's not exactly what I'm looking for.

I have no sump or refugium, so I'm stuck using HOB/side-stick equipment, and in-line is out of the question.

I'm looking for the UV to help manage the parasite and reduce chances of severe infection, even if it doesn't cure it.

stewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
finding nemo fish GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U.V. will indeed help to manage ick but may not "eradicate"it. Look at TMC units as they are one of the best for parasite control. American Aquarium in Oregon online has information and specs for your specific use. I have used U.V. for both commercial and hobbiest systems with great success for more than 25 years in the aquarium industry.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back