Hob tank filter vs hob protein skimmer

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I got a deal on a CPR hob protein skimmer. I currently have a marine land penguin hob filter. Should I just replace the filter with the skimmer? Or use both? I have a 45 gallon tank with live sand and live rock. And a lawnmower blenny some hermits shrimp and snails.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd day you can do either both or filter but I wouldn't use just the skimmer if you want to remove any detritus in the filter floss.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say use both. The filter comes in handy to run carbon or phosguard or something else. I also keep rubble in mine as a sort of copepod safe spot.
the filter and skimmer provide different methods of cleaning the water, why not use both

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great idea to put some rubble in with the filter. Wouldn’t I be better with a refugium. There is so many ways to filter. Some say just use live rock, some say canister filter, protein skimmer, refugium So many choices. Lol

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats right, there are many ways to filter, everything does something different. Its up to you to research everything individually, and make your own decision for your system. Don't just read people's opinion on forums, read published articles to get the best scientific information.

OP
OP
N

nawt2tawl1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a protein skimmer hooked up and it’s been pushing a ton of micro bubbles in the tank. Is it ok to put a couple clowns in. They have a deal right now and I wanted to take advantage.

Back