HOB Tidal Filter

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve researched about setting up a QT. Good HOB filters are the Tidal and AquaClear. I already have an AquaClear on my QT. I’m looking into getting the Tidal, but it has a surface skimmer built in. Wanted to know if the skimmer would pull medications out of the water?

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all that thing is doing is giving the surface of the tank a place to overflow so it doesn't have a film on it. If there was mechanical filter media (floss or whatever) in there it would catch the particles/oil floating on the surface. Without a mechanical filter it'll just keep stuff circulating (but still keep scum from accumulating on the surface).

Nothing dissolved in the water should be affected I wouldn't think.

"Skim" has a different definition here than it does in a protein skimmer.

OP
OP
ry_gon

ry_gon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all that thing is doing is giving the surface of the tank a place to overflow so it doesn't have a film on it. If there was mechanical filter media (floss or whatever) in there it would catch the particles/oil floating on the surface. Without a mechanical filter it'll just keep stuff circulating (but still keep scum from accumulating on the surface).

Nothing dissolved in the water should be affected I wouldn't think.

"Skim" has a different definition here than it does in a protein skimmer.
Ok thank you for the reply!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve researched about setting up a QT. Good HOB filters are the Tidal and AquaClear. I already have an AquaClear on my QT. I’m looking into getting the Tidal, but it has a surface skimmer built in. Wanted to know if the skimmer would pull medications out of the water?

Skimmers can remove praziquantel from the water, and may remove some antibiotics. I typically suggest they continue to run (for good aeration) during treatments, but just don't collect any skimmate from them.

Jay

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to stop the skimmer from foaming while treating with praziquantel? Or simply take the collection cup off and let it overflow into the sump? I have a yellow tang that has started to flash a few days ago.
Secondly, does praziquantel stress any of the snails or inverts?
Thanks for your help.....
Ed

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to stop the skimmer from foaming while treating with praziquantel? Or simply take the collection cup off and let it overflow into the sump? I have a yellow tang that has started to flash a few days ago.
Secondly, does praziquantel stress any of the snails or inverts?
Thanks for your help.....
Ed
In my systems, I can just take the collection cup off during a prazi treatment, and the water just runs back into the sump. Other times, you can just redirect the skimmer effluent back to the sump.
Turning the skimmer down or off is my last resort because I feel that extra aeration is beneficial during prazi treatments.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay, lastly does GFO affect praziquantel?
Ed
I really don’t know about GFO. I don’t think it would be an issue, but I have never tried dosing with it present…..sorry!
Jay

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for getting back, I took the GFO offline just in case. In the short time I'll be medicating a brief rise in phosphates won't really matter.
Have a nice weekend :)

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added prazipro to my tank yesterday morning, my Yellow Tang had been flashing for a few days and had a few tears in it's anal fin.
Today the Yellow Tang isn't flashing as much and the anal fin tears have healed 100%. I'm very hopeful the prazipro is working it's magic, I'll give the tank a second dose after 7days.
:)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back