HOB vs Canister for 36 Gallon Bow Front Reef Tank

kyjive85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 36 gallon bow front being used as a reef tank. It has lots of live rock and coral. Im currently using a seachem 75 HOB filter. Was wondering if this will suffice long term or do I need to convert over to a canister filter.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB will be fine, canisters are much too easy to forget about. I know because I run a canister filter on my 29g lol
Your live rock does most of the biological filtration, your filter is really just there to pick up particulates and is a good place for chemical filtration.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with above, no HOB or canister is really needed, although they do provide many benefits. The benefits are equal, but HOB is cheaper and easier to clean so it wins out in my book. Canister is good if you already have it and dont need to buy it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB. Canisters are a pain to clean and promote bad care taking. You should clean your mechanical filter at least once a week (rinsing the filter pad in a HOB every other day can significantly make the tank cleaner by preventing the accumulation of rotting crud in the filter). Cleaning a canister weekly is a hassle. Canisters are like a recirculating garbage bin.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back