Hobby Advice

Boborr444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only new to hobby but I have never been on a Forum either.Heading into retirement .I have always been fascinated with reef tanks.I have the opportunity to purchase an established reef tank a 200 gal Red Sea XXL 350.Equipment is in excellent shape,fish look healthy some corals look great however tank is overwhelmed with Aptasia.I have been looking long enough and doing research and I understand that this can be a tough hobby at times .My question is with no experience in the hobby should I run away or jump in Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not only new to hobby but I have never been on a Forum either.Heading into retirement .I have always been fascinated with reef tanks.I have the opportunity to purchase an established reef tank a 200 gal Red Sea XXL 350.Equipment is in excellent shape,fish look healthy some corals look great however tank is overwhelmed with Aptasia.I have been looking long enough and doing research and I understand that this can be a tough hobby at times .My question is with no experience in the hobby should I run away or jump in Thanks
Red Sea is a good system as long as there’s no leaks
Easy to maintain with a nice finished look
Price?
Also as a condition of sale, see if you can get seller to help you set it back up and explain maintenance
Welcome to the R2R group

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out in this hobby 2 years ago with an established RSR 170, fully loaded with fish and corals. You will have many questions but R2R helped me answer those questions Over a year ago, I upgraded to an R2R 425 XL.

Try and find an experienced reefer to help you.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get a handle on what to expect in terms of maintenance/upkeep needs ($$$ and effort) but whatever you can read here about what others with similar size tank and similar livestock would be a thought.
EDIT -- wasn't thinking -- I guess best source is obviously just talking to the current owner,,, duh

If you think you're up for the effort/money, go for it.
*relocating the setup will be fun but definitely doable.

Have fun!!!

OP
OP
B

Boborr444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I'm confused on the size. A Red Sea Reefer 350 would be about a 90 gallon system with about a 75 gallon display
I'm confused on the size. A Red Sea Reefer 350 would be about a 90 gallon system with about a 75 gallon display.
Sorry XXL 750 not only new to hobby not to smart hehehe

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tough one. Generally, larger tanks are easier to manage, however they also cost more to run and maintain. If you are confident you are going to love this hobby and be in it for awhile, then the investment makes sense. If you are someone that tends to get bored after a bit and likes to jump around to different hobbies, it might be prudent to start with a smaller tank and see how committed you are.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

Sorry XXL 750 not only new to hobby not to smart hehehe
In that case,

That's a big tank for a new hobbyist. Unless it's exactly what you are looking for, I wouldn't go this way. If a 180 gallon is exactly what you are looking for, and the tank is in great shape, and the price is right, sure.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back