Hobby grade “quarantine” probably kills more fish than it saves.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. However my tank has been running for 1.66 years, the newest corals dipped and fish were qted at the store. My 1.5 year old Blue eye Kole tang who was most likely 1-2 years old when he was in the shop (1-2 years old when he was brought into captivity)still got Ich (Yes he fought it off before we could dip him). Ich can still pass through QT it will always be in your tank. Either lying dormant and waiting for the time to strike or active and you’ve just never noticed it (The tang was the fourth addition after a CBB, two clowns and a Foxface rabbit)
In your tank but not mines. I never introduced ich into my tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your tank but not mines. I never introduced ich into my tank.
You. Don’t. Know. That.

That’s what we’re all trying to tell you. Yes you may be right however, I have never introduced Ich into my tank but the live sand or rock must’ve had it laying dormant for a while

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same four fish in my tank for the past year and a half, I have not observed signs of any parasites over that time period. Over that time period I have added CUC from IPSF, LFSs and Reefcleaners (who I would not recommend). I have also added coral from a LFS. All of the CUC and coral were not quarantined.

Though I have not seen ich, I cannot say for certain that none exists in my tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You. Don’t. Know. That.

That’s what we’re all trying to tell you. Yes you may be right however, I have never introduced Ich into my tank but the live sand or rock must’ve had it laying dormant for a while

Coral dip doesn't kill ich. That is why he QT's his corals for 30 days.

30 day QT probably gets most. If one gets through then he will wish he did 45 days at 82 degrees :)

Keeping a Ctenochaetus or Zebrasoma is different then keeping a Acanthurus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral dip doesn't kill ich.
They went through more than just coral dip at the store then got dipped again when I got home. Also the last time a coral was added was 3 months ago and the last fish to be added was 2 weeks ago now but he went through QT at the store
Then on Monday my tang showed signs of Ich so it would’ve been dormant for a while because it would’ve shown on the newest fish first before the tang.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They went through more than just coral dip at the store then got dipped again when I got home. Also the last time a coral was added was 3 months ago and the last fish to be added was 1 week ago but he went through QT at the store

If the store didn't hold them for 45 days at 82 with no new additions then it doesn't matter what they did to them.

Also a store has multiple employees. I would never put 100% faith in them. At least a person who QT's their own knows everything that has happened.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the store didn't hold them for 45 days at 82 then it doesn't matter what they did to them.

Also a store has multiple employees. I would never put 100% faith in them. At least a person who QT's their own knows everything that has happened.
That’s the issue, I don’t QT because I don’t trust that risk of killing off fish or corals. I put them into the DT after 30 minutes to 1 hour of drop/temp acclimation depending on what it is

also my LFS only has 2 employees, one focuses on the coral QT and the other does the QT on fish

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You. Don’t. Know. That.

You wouldn't know. I know cause I see my tank everyday. Must be some super special ich to lie dormant for over 2 years and never once infected none of my 30 fish then...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the issue, I don’t QT because I don’t trust that risk of killing off fish or corals. I put them into the DT after 30 minutes to 1 hour of drop/temp acclimation depending on what it is

Ok but what does that have to do with his tank?

All I am saying is your experience isn't the same as his. Like your set up/tanks and the way you QT is different so you catching ich from a coral has no meaning for his tank.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

also my LFS only has 2 employees, one focuses on the coral QT and the other does the QT on fish
Actually you're supposed to qurantine new fish so they don't infect and possibly kill your current fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but what does that have to do with his tank?

All I am saying is your experience isn't the same as his.
Yes, however 13 years in the hobby is more than 2 years of a dormant tank. All I’m trying to say is that Ich may be waiting for the perfect time to spread in their tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually you're supposed to qurantine new fish so they don't infect and possibly kill your current fish.
Actually, QT tends to kill more than putting them into the DT. I’ve worked at my LFS before and the amount of fish I have fished out dead from QT is shocking but you do you.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, however 13 years in the hobby is more than 2 years of a dormant tank. All I’m trying to say is that Ich may be waiting for the perfect time to spread in their tank.
Meh I was in the hobby since 2008. Didn't do strict qurantine til 2019. Will never do it the old way of plop and drop and wish for the best.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you got ich from them... then they failed I guess. Idk what to say.
the only fish that showed Ich was the second oldest of all 10. My CBB even acted normal (and still does), same with my newest fish (the second Lubbock’s fairy wrasse)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, QT tends to kill more than putting them into the DT. I’ve worked at my LFS before and the amount of fish I have fished out dead from QT is shocking but you do you.

Jay already shared his massive QT experience and that losses were minimal.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I got Ich from them then I’d be surprised because the coral tank that coral came from has fish that never showed signs of Ich at the time of purchase, same with the lubbocki

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay already shared his massive QT experience and that losses were minimal.
the only reason I would QT is if I was buying from a dodgy LFS or I knew the fish was showing signs of Ich/disease

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean think about it... you just said you buy fish from a LFS that QT's then stated that more fish die in QT than anything. So basically you are saying you buy from a store that is not only killing large amounts of fish but also failed to QT properly as you also got ich from them.

And now the coral tank has fish in it which means any coral put in there with a cyst would never go fallow. So the coral could never be said to be free of fish parasites.

Clearly this place seem questionable at best.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back