Holy Cow, Reef Tanks Certainly Have Changed Since 1995!

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally committed to running another reef tank. After many a number of years of hemming and hawing, I purchased a Red Sea Reefer 350. It's been up and running since August 2019 and coming along nice and slow. My previous reef tank was shut down in 1995.

The rsr350 is running with the following equipment:
Red Sea LED 90s;
Sixty pounds of live rock;
Sixty pounds of Argonite CaribSea;
Bubble Magnus curve 5;
Vectra S2 return pump; and
2 Ecotech MP 40s.

I use Tropic Marin Pro Salt and keep alkalinity 8.0 to 8.3; calcium 400 to 430 and magnesium 1280 to 1300.

I have 2 clown fish; a Blue Tang; and a yellow wrasse.

I will post a pic of the coral.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the insanity. Some of the gadgets have changed, but the basics of reefing still hold true. I may be considered “old school” by the standards today, because I am mostly using the same equipment that I have been for 20 years. So the more things change, the more they stay the same. Things just got flashier names, and much bigger price tags!

Did you get rid of all of your equipment from back in the day?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and R2R family.
Jack Nicholson Advice 20122019205750.jpg

And yes it certainly has changed. Feels like 2005 was flintstone times. 95 more like caveman times :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Call it, the latest and greatest !
Welcome back to a technological hobby and to the R2R community !!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome back to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

OP
OP
RoweReef

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the insanity. Some of the gadgets have changed, but the basics of reefing still hold true. I may be considered “old school” by the standards today, because I am mostly using the same equipment that I have been for 20 years. So the more things change, the more they stay the same. Things just got flashier names, and much bigger price tags!

Did you get rid of all of your equipment from back in the day?
I was living in Manhattan for a while and had to sell most of everything because of storage constraints.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the tank. I was dive certified in 1995 and that started my fascination with all things reef.

I was certified when they invented air and that also got me started. Trilobites were always my favorite. :rolleyes:

Welcome back

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, welcome back! I had my first 75 gallon around 97, and just got back in two or three years ago. It's the same, but as I am a fully employed adult now, much more expensive, but I've matured and had a lot of catch up from the pros here. Long gone are the days of hobby magazines and books, bulletin boards and AOL! There is so much information out there now but the people are the same. Same great feeling going to a club meeting and comradery. I always wonder if I shouldn't waste so much money on my tank, guilt always settles in, and after all we've been without a tank for so long, couldn't we go back to not having one? I for one will always have crazy obsessive hobbies, so it might as well be a reef tank!

OP
OP
RoweReef

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto, welcome back! I had my first 75 gallon around 97, and just got back in two or three years ago. It's the same, but as I am a fully employed adult now, much more expensive, but I've matured and had a lot of catch up from the pros here. Long gone are the days of hobby magazines and books, bulletin boards and AOL! There is so much information out there now but the people are the same. Same great feeling going to a club meeting and comradery. I always wonder if I shouldn't waste so much money on my tank, guilt always settles in, and after all we've been without a tank for so long, couldn't we go back to not having one? I for one will always have crazy obsessive hobbies, so it might as well be a reef tank!
Thanks for the warm welcome. Oh yeah, the money thing can certainly raise feelings of guilt. I am definitely not a DYI person at this point, so expenses add up fast.
I guess we could have picked a worse hobby, lol.

Back