Holy feather dusters

Garin fisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve liked the idea of growing macro algae in my sump but I never can keep it alive, I’ve tried power heads in the sump, I’ve tried putting my prime in there with just red and violet on and some blue but it always dies and my prime always got salt creep

397c57fd937c33e9e94a433a0f162b2e.jpg

So I was like, this is stupid I’m saving my 200$ light and I’m not spending anymore money on Chateo, so I just recently bought a cheap 16 led sump light and I’m ready to give it another shot. Only thing is... it looks like my fuge is a forest of feather dusters. Now I’m under the impression that feather dusters are big filter feeders and that if I clean out my sump and kill all these guys that my parameters might go out of wack due to the loss of biological filtration

5eb0111085d67bbc3a0fdf1d993135b1.jpg
545e6520d1fd4255ddf2a65d7cf2b9c6.jpg

This guys are a pretty big eye sore now that I have lighting [emoji23] so if you have any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

VSVP bet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly leave them, just harmless creatures that wouldn't have an effect on your system. Thats just my opinion.

Where is your sump, are you talking about the chamber on your AIO, or is there plumbing somewhere else? Whats your bio load like, was there enough nutrients in your tank for chateo to grow? Is there any other type of algae in your system? How new is the tank? How high were your lights above the chateo?

OP
OP
Garin fisher

Garin fisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would honestly leave them, just harmless creatures that wouldn't have an effect on your system. Thats just my opinion.

Where is your sump, are you talking about the chamber on your AIO, or is there plumbing somewhere else? Whats your bio load like, was there enough nutrients in your tank for chateo to grow? Is there any other type of algae in your system? How new is the tank? How high were your lights above the chateo?

Cool, yeah I would hate to have to kill them all.

The picture you see with the AI Prime is over my 7 gallon AIO the sump you see is actually a sump under my drilled 30 gallon reef. Has 4 clowns, one tang, one six line, and one lawn mower

Probably not enough nutrients at the time, and the light was up to like 60-80% if I remember about a foot away from the chateo and no other algae besides sponge in the sump. Tanks been running for about 8-9 months

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"under my drilled 30 gallon reef. Has 4 clowns, one tang, one six line, and one lawn mower."

o_0 tang police alert O_0

If it's a baby tang it should be ok for a few months (not really).

The 1st concern would be 4 clowns in a 30. :)

If they have any size at all or have reached 1 mated pairs stage that won't likely work very long.

You will more likely end up with a dead pair. :-(

The tang and lawnmower recognize each other as algae eater competition. Have been known to harass/kill each other.

Sixline has a sunny cheerful personality in general. It won't likely improve in a 30 gallon tank, especially with (for now) 6 other fish.

Sorry to be a drag. :-(

OP
OP
Garin fisher

Garin fisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"under my drilled 30 gallon reef. Has 4 clowns, one tang, one six line, and one lawn mower."

o_0 tang police alert O_0

If it's a baby tang it should be ok for a few months (not really).

The 1st concern would be 4 clowns in a 30. :)

If they have any size at all or have reached 1 mated pairs stage that won't likely work very long.

You will more likely end up with a dead pair. :-(

The tang and lawnmower recognize each other as algae eater competition. Have been known to harass/kill each other.

Sixline has a sunny cheerful personality in general. It won't likely improve in a 30 gallon tank, especially with (for now) 6 other fish.

Sorry to be a drag. :-(

Yeah the tang is literally weeks old it was born in petco and I just felt super bad looking at him suffering in a 5 gallon

ae653b8969d2dd48f4b60546d860bbc9.jpg

It’s only temporary until I can rehome him as I’m moving back to California, I only moved the two additional clowns in there because I knew my roommate wouldn’t keep up on maintenance on the 7 gallon AIO I have, the wrasse seems to do his own thing, he had a problem with my purple tang in another tank (95 gallon) so I moved her to that tank also she would have killed the quarter sized tang.

I understand this may seem crammed and it could be at the moment but I really would hate to buy a big tank right before this move. It would be more logical to rehome them or get the tank in Cali!

Thank you for you’re help!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the tang is literally weeks old it was born in petco and I just felt super bad looking at him suffering in a 5 gallon

ae653b8969d2dd48f4b60546d860bbc9.jpg

It’s only temporary until I can rehome him as I’m moving back to California, I only moved the two additional clowns in there because I knew my roommate wouldn’t keep up on maintenance on the 7 gallon AIO I have, the wrasse seems to do his own thing, he had a problem with my purple tang in another tank (95 gallon) so I moved her to that tank also she would have killed the quarter sized tang.

I understand this may seem crammed and it could be at the moment but I really would hate to buy a big tank right before this move. It would be more logical to rehome them or get the tank in Cali!

Thank you for you’re help!
Temporary should be fine. :)

That is one awesome tiny tang!

Lol, even tinier than ours was. Respect. I am a sucker for juvenile fish.
Glad you pulled it out of their 5 gallon! That is just sad. :-/

If you are moving soon I would just keep an eye on the lawn mower blenny not killing the tang, the 4 clowns getting along, and 6 line, lol, behaving.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back